One~ It's my job

Tucker Jaide Long

Tucker Jaide Long

Brantley Keith Gilbert

◎○●※◎○●※◎○●※

Locking my truck I headed into the back entrance of the hospital, barring my coffee cup as a shield from the fatigue of the night to come. Come on Tucker, make it through tonight and then it's a month off. I swiped my card and into hell I marched.

I walked to the desk in the center of the floor. "What room am I in tonight?" My charge nurse leaned against the desk, obviously annoyed.
"JJ is in there now. She insisted she get the super star. He's been burned, not severe, out by the morning. His family is in there. Tell JJ to clock out and disappear."

I just laughed and shook my head. Wonder who Nurse Bimbo is trying to impress now. I open the door and my eyes meet a pair of green eyes that I've looked at a thousand times.

"Hello," I said to everyone. My name is Tucker, I'll be your nurse until we both get sprung tomorrow morning. Give me a minute to go over your charts, and then I'll get you situated as best I can."

JJ was messing with her phone in the corner, pain medication for his IV was spread out on Tue counter. She was chewing that gosh awful watermelon gum.

"Well," I heard. "No time for little sister I guess."

I whipped around to see my little sister, Veronica, with his family. She was sitting on the lap of none other than Kolby Gilbert. "Kolby?" I said pointing to him. She giggled and shook her head. Well... I guess she left out important details on who her boyfriend was.

I got the pain meds and walked to his bed. "Oh," JJ said. "I guess you are my relief. Okay so his name.."

I cut her off, trying to get her out of here as soon as possible. "Is Brantley Keith Gilbert. He's 35, D.Oh.B. is the 31st of January. He's 6 foot 4 inches tall. Allergic to penicillin, and if you try to give him pain medicine he'll argue till we're both blue in the face. Except for when his momma is here, because she will still spank him. You can go now JJ."

I finished putting the meds in his IV and threw the plastic off the syringes into the trash can. She left and I couldn't be happier..

"Well," Brantley said. "Why do I get the feeling you don't like her? Is it that God-awful laugh that sounds like two hyenas going at it? Or maybe it's her Dragon breath?"

I heard a rather painful smack, followed by "Brantley Keith!!" coming from his momma, Mrs.Becky. I just laughed.

"I am more interested in how she knew so much about you without reading your chart." Kolby chimed in.

"Easy," Veronica said. "She's been crushing on him since high school. Like twice a month she Google's him to see what's new in the world of BG Nation. She's kind of a stalker, really."

As soon as she stopped talking I launched a pillow at her head. "I don't stalk him! It's called being a fan of someone you can relate to! We've talked about this before. It's not even him, it's his music."

"Well whatever it is you sure know a lot about me."

As I got ready to leave the room I opened the door, and turned to smile at him.

"It's my job."