chapter nine

-taylor-

122

That was Grace's number.

That was how far down she was on the transplant list.

121 people had to go brain dead before Grace could get her heart.

Maybe even more. Dozens, hundreds, thousands more.

"Momma, I'm hungry." Ava whined. "Okay sweetie. Tell you what, how about I ask Nana to stop at Panera Bread, and get us some lunch and stop by?" I offered. I wasn't in any mood to leave her bedside. Ava nodded, and I texted my mom.

My mom has been so supportive this entire time. She filed a divorce against my father, and a restraining order under all of our names. She didn't even have the slightest clue that my dad could be so cruel. He had never gone half as far with anyone else I've dated.

Dr. Wilson walked in to give Ava her hourly checkup. "Vitals, are stable, so are breath sounds and heartbeats. Hey Ava, mind if I take a peek at your heart and throat?" Dr. Wilson asked gently. Ava shook her head no, she was scared. "Baby, it's nothing to be scared of. She's nice, and she's only helping you get better. "

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Dr. Wilson took a listen at Ava's heart, and looked at her throat. "Everything looks good! She should be able to go home in a couple of weeks." I smiled, nausea taking over my body. "Excuse me." I said walking into the bathroom and shutting the door behind me. I knelt in front of the toilet and let it out. I cleaned myself up, and went back out acting as if nothing every happened. Suddenly, I was craving fries.

My mom arrived with lunch, and I went to feed Grace. She sat at Ava's bedside and fed her.  Dr. Yang walked in with a smile on her face. I hoped for the best, but prepared for the worst.

"We have a donor heart for Grace, it's being picked up now, and we would like to prep her for a heart transplant." Dr. Yang said. "Oh, thank God! Hear that baby? You're gonna get better!" I exclaimed. "But, that means she can't eat for another hour." Dr. Yang said. I set the soup down, as doctors began to prep her for surgery.

--

I sat in the waiting room, Calvin's hand in mine. A surgeon walked out, with a pitiful look on her face. She wasn't our surgeon, thank god. She stopped at the seat of the woman sitting next to us. "Mrs. Nelson, I'm so sorry." She said. "No, no!" That poor woman croaked. "This is a game. This can't be happening." She yelled. "This is a game!"

"I'm so so sorry." No, you're not sorry. I wasn't feeling good, yet again. I walked down the hallway, and past the nurses station. I went inside the bathroom, and took a look in the mirror. Why has this happened to me?

--

Grace, was just fine. They took her out of surgery, and it was a success. They need to monitor her for the next 24 hours to make sure she's not rejecting the heart. Ava's being discharged in a week, Grace, though, has yet another month until she's fully healed. This is it. We're almost at the finish line. This madness is almost over. My phone rang, signaling 30 minutes were up.

I rummaged through my purse for the white stick that determined my future. I stepped in the hallway, and looked at the front side of it. Everything I had just finished building back up, has now tumbled back down yet again.

I'm pregnant.

••
GOTCHA AGAIN!! Just a pleasant surprise! I figured why not add a small twist to the story! Thank you so much for 3K, I'm ecstatic about the reads and you're lovely comments!
next chapter-13 votes 17 comments
stay beautiful
chloe