wish one

Fireworks giggled as the clock started to roll and tick, getting closer and closer to midnight. Lovers held hands, little children squealed, and friends danced underneath the stars.

     Most people say if you tell a wish, it won’t come true. But is that the truth? I do not think so. Is there an evil wish-fairy swinging from one house to another with a clipboard, checking off whether or not you’ve told?

     A little boy with dimples tickling his cheeks watched the fireworks in awe as his father called after him in the distance.

     “What would you wish for?” I felt myself whisper against the cold night as everyone swayed side to side, closed their eyes as a shooting star flashed by the twinkling sky.

     “Cotton candy.”

     A smile spread on my lips as wide as the fireworks blazing in the sky. “You wished for cotton candy?” The little boy didn’t answer but only had a twinkle growing in his eyes.

     I pulled my hand from my pocket. Taking one of his tiny hands, I wrapped his fingers tightly around a dollar. “Wish granted.”

     He took off running as his father chased after him, begging him to slow down as he panted and breathed enormously.

     I closed my eyes and made a wish. “I wish the refreshment stand has cotton candy.”