Epilogue

EPILOGUE: MARIANNA

"So, that Blackburn kid's going to pull through, huh?"

"Yup. The bastard."

"Mari, are you sure you want to go down this road?"

"The man stalked and threatened the kid for two years, captain! He should be in jail right now."

"Yup. And instead he's laying in a hospital bed with a tube sticking out of his throat. That's just bad luck, now isn't it, Mari?"

We were sitting in the hospital lobby drinking sludge-- I mean coffee, and waiting for Zachary's father to make an appearance. Or his lawyer. Whichever came first. My money was on the lawyer. My captain, Bianca Grey was sitting beside me with a worried expression on her face.

"Captain, I'm not backing off this case just because some jealous ex-boyfriend has a bank account to buy Manhattan. He broke the law. He harassed a seventeen year old boy, and today he threatened him with a loaded gun."

"I'm not saying you should give up. I just want to know if you're ready for what the fallout is going to be for opening this can of worms. Getting a Blackburn in prison is going to be about as easy as launching a nuclear missile into Russia. You're going to get a lot of media attention for this, and I'm not sure if that boy can handle it."

I start to protest when she shushes me.

"Marianna, do not put this kid through more hell than he's already been through."

"I won't!"

"Really? So, if he says he doesn't want to go to trial, you'll let it go?"

"He has to go to trial if he wants to get justice for himself."

"But not every victim is looking for justice, Mari. Some of them just want to feel safe again. And from what you've told me about those two boyfriends of his, he's feeling pretty secure."

"Captain--"

"File the restraining order and that's it. Do not bring up charges on Zachary, yet. Ask Iris if he wants to continue with a trial, otherwise we're dropping this case."

"But--"

"No, Mari. You still don't understand the consequences your actions have on other people's lives. Now, I'm heading back to the precinct to file some paperwork. You go home and get some sleep. Drink, party, make love with a stranger, ANYTHING but contact Zachary's attorney. Have I made myself clear, detective?"

"Yes, ma'am."

Captain Grey nods at me and walks away. "Oh, and one more thing. This case has nothing to do with Cecilia. Don't let your personal baggage cause problems for that boy. Good night, Marianna."

With that, she left me sitting there in the hospital waiting room to drink my sludge-coffee alone. Just me and the ghost.