Chapter 1

It was a sunny, rather cloudless day when Cabou, the alpha, addressed his pack.

"We shall go tomorrow." The hollow was suddenly filled with anxious howls.

"We shall attack and claim our rightful part of the forest tomorrow at sundown."

The next day, the White Pack journeyed through the glittering snow. Cabou led the pack past boulders and hollows and cliffs and bluffs, determined not to think about losing a wolf. He managed this for a while but could not hold off any longer when they passed the lightning-split tree that marked the Black Packs territory - no, their territory. They crept silently down the hill to the territory that they have come to claim. A wolf from the Black Pack, whose name was Kumon, lifted his head and sniffed. His eyes widened in surprise.

"INTRUDERS!" He yelped. He woke the rest of the pack.

"ATTACK!" howled Cabou. He leapt into battle with a swish of his tail. His clan mates followed his lead and pounced on the Black Pack. Single voices were drowned out by the cries of battle. Cabou pounced on a wolf and sunk his teeth into his leg. The wolf twisted and turned but couldn't get free, so he flung Cabou to the ground and lunged for his neck. Cabou jumped out of the way at the last moment and the wolf bit into the packed dirt. He stood up and spat out some soil and jumped on Cabou back. Cabou flung him off and he was lost in the packs. Cabou heard a painful yelp and jumped into the air to search for the caller. There! Dedon was over by the big boulder, being crushed by a russet wolf.

He started to run over to help him, when suddenly, Askiar, the Black Pack leader, yowled, "Black Pack! RETREAT! Meet back up at Camp!" The White Pack sneered and ran alongside them for a short distance, nipping at their heels. Then they stopped and sat down. The night sky was filled with triumphant howls from the White Pack. The sounds from the Black Pack's paws were fading into the distance.