Chapter 3

When Cabou woke up the next morning, his den was filled with crying pups and the smell of milk.

"Wha..." He started, but then thought otherwise. Cabou leapt to his paws and rushed over to Claire. There, at her paws, were three bundles of pink skin. Cabou gazed proudly at them.

"What shall we name them?" He asked.

"Here," Claire replied, pushing the wriggling pup toward him.

"You name this one; I'll name the other two."

Cabou said "I will name him Joyce."

Claire looked down at the crying female and said "Glacier. I will name her Glacier." The little pup began to squirm and whine for milk. Claire pushed Glacier closer to her belly.

Then she took the other female and said "Sheila. This pups name is Sheila." Then she took Joyce, Glacier and Sheila and pushed them closer to her belly, and they began to suckle.

Claire managed a lop-sided smile and said: "Go announce this big victory." Cabou got up silently and left the den.

"Wolves!" He barked. "Gather here beneath my den for a meeting. I have some exciting news." Once the last wolf had padded from its den to the center of the clearing, he told the story.

"We have named them Glacier, Joyce and Naya." He finished.

The pack cheered and someone called out "Send a hunting party out and get some food for his pups!"

Cabou replied "Yes, that is a good idea." The wolf, named Simon, beamed with pride.

Cabou said "Take a patrol out and see if you can find any food."