Chapter 2

The White pack started home. As they were walking, they were boasting about how good they had fought. They reached the corner of they territory. Cabou halted and tasted the air. He froze. Then he ran towards the camp, with the rest of the pack close behind. When the White Pack reached the clearing that made their camp they froze in horror. Their beautiful home had been torn apart. The kill-pile had disappeared, now spreading the clearing with blood. Cabou dipped his head and sniffed. He paused.

He lifted his head and growled "The Brown Pack. Idiot rotten-carcass eaters. The next time I see 'em I swear I'll turn 'em into crow food."

Then he added with a worried tone, "I hope the pups are ok. Split up. Search for our queens and pups." He turned and padded toward the adults den. When he got closer, he could hear the sound of faint whimpering. He raced to the den and peered inside. His mate, Claire, sighed in relief.

"I thought you were another Brown Packer coming to finish us off." She got up and scrambled to his side.

"Did I smell like one?" Cabou chuckled, relieved that he found her and the others.

Then he yowled, "It's ok, I found them!" They all rushed over and looked for their mates and pups.

"You should all get some rest. We had some exhausting battles today. You've worked hard, and you've earned it." He guided his mate over to their den.

Claire said to him, "You know, you look a little tired. Maybe you should get some rest."

Cabou replied, "I know. It's just that the pups are due any day now, and I'm a little stressed out." He looked at her swollen belly.

"It's fine." She soothed.

"You should really get some rest." That was the last thing Cabou remembered before he collapsed.