Ch. 4 The Attack

Chapter 4

                As the night went on, Marshall grew more impatient. He lurked in the corner, strumming his axe, huffing and refusing to socialize. Gumball, on the other hand, was the life of the party. He talked to every guest at some point, laughing and gossiping. Marshall watched as the pink Prince talked, studying his mannerisms and movements, changing his melody when he saw something new. 

                The party finally winded down and guests started to leave. Gumball stayed behind, helping Fionna and Cake tidy.

                "It's okay, Monochromicorn. Go home without me," he said, nudging the black horse. Monochromicorn tossed him head, making quick hoof movements against the floor. Gumball shrugged.

                "I'll be fine walking, you don't have to worry about how I'll get back," he said, patting the gray mane. Marshall stood.

                "It's cool. I'll fly Princey home," he said, leaning back with his hands in his pockets. The horse tossed his mane again, tapping his hooves frantically. 

                "We're friends now, MC, I'm sure he'll see to my safe return," Gumball assured his friend. Fionna piped up, holding a half eaten sandwich.

                "Friends?" she said, mouth full.

                "Oh, yeah," Gumball said, scratching his ear, looking apologetic for not bringing it up previously.. She smiled.

                "That's algebraic," she said, swallowing, "When did that happen?"

                "Marshall and I shared some quality time," Gumball replied, cheeks slightly pink. Fionna didn't notice. 

                "You can take me home, right Marshall?" the Prince asked, turning the attention to the Vampire. Marshall nodded

                "Looks like I don't have a choice now," he said, with a sigh, rolling his eyes. Fionna smiled.

                "This is great! All my buds are buds with each other now," she said, an excited gleam in her eye. Marshall and Gumball exchanged a quick glance. 

                Cake entered and shared a quick goodnight with Monochromicorn, making plans for a date sometime soon. The horse left, a fluttering banner of black against the dark blue sky, Cake staring after. 

                "I guess we'll go too," Gumball said, hands on his hips, "Thanks for the party, Fionna, Cake.."

                "Of course, baby," Cake said, turning away from the door. 

                "It's not our vacation, but it's something," Fionna replied wistfully, finishing her sandwich. Gumball smiled.

                "It was great," he said. Marshall walked over.

                "'C'mon," he said, nodding toward the door, "Bye 'Fi. Cake."

                "Yeah, yeah," Cake said. She looked at Gumball, "Bye sugar. Don't let the vampire bite."

                Marshall chuckled.

                "Bye dudes." Fionna waved as the Vampire King scooped up Prince Gumball and carried him off into the night. Marshall helped the Prince move into piggyback position, where he wrapped his arms tightly around the him and pressed his cheek into Marshall's back.