FIVE

FIVE

EVER

I shuffled into my house, shutting the door behind me and began removing one of my beaten up Dr. Martens. I slid off my blue bookbag that hung off one shoulder, and started with the other shoe.

"Ever, are you home?" questioned my mothers voice from nearby. My ears caught the sound of her slippers dragging across the floor - a sound I heard daily - until it got louder and she appeared in front of me. Hair twisted in a bun, she wore a floral apron that I never saw before since my mother doesn't even know how to boil water or use the toaster. It was an indication that we had guests, my mother leaned in giving me a hug and whispered into my ear something I couldn't comprehend.

"Wha-" I began, instantly cut off by her hand slapping over my mouth. Even when I licked it, she didn't bother to let go. Her head turned in the direction towards the kitchen, she put a ruby polished finger to her pink lips - telling me to shut up. My mother's eyes deadly, and slightly pleading. My mind went back to when she whispered into my ear, but the memory was already dissolving. My mother lead me towards the kitchen her talons for nails sinking into my shoulder, with each step we took.

"Ever, this is Cassie, Ben, and Ann Eliston. " my mother announced. A lightweight feeling blossomed into my stomach, and I suddenly felt cold. I hadn't heard that last name for years, it haunted me in my sleep for ages just waiting to consume me into the battleground of Hell, past the gates and into the Devil's lair. All my life I had been free and now I am stuck in a cage; a knight on the Chessboard trying to survive.

Which side am I on?

- - -

(Margo)

I was almost ready to throw up on my Aunt Ann if she gave me one more "affectionate hug", that perfume would probably be the death of me. I sat in the livingroom of Aunt Ann's home, her scent lingering everywhere. I had the house to myself. Both Ben and Cassie out, along with our Aunt probably at some type of Meet and Greet. I raked my hands through my brunette hair, tying it into a ponytail trying to decide whether I should go blonde or red head. I flipped through the channels; settling on a re-run of the Carrie Diaries.

"Hello?" I answered, the house phone that had been ringing the same goddamn Jingle Bells Rock ringtone right after Aunt Ann left. I walked towards the fridge, squinting on a list of rules Aunt Ann set for me just before she left.

(RULES)

-Don't answer the door.

-Don't pick up the phone.

-No eating in the living room.

-No open windows.

-No party.

-Keep the alarm on.

-Do not touch the gun(unless emergency)

-No touching my China

-Margo do NOT go to my room.

***

 I looked over the list and shook my head. "If you're going to tell me not to - obviously I HAVE to do it now." I stated, speed walking to Aunt Ann's room. I gagged. The smell of flowers and apples burned my nostrils. My eyes watered as I began searching through the drawers.

"What?" I said aloud, raising one brow. Re-opening one drawer, I picked up a photograph of Cassie, and two other girls - twins , at the age fifteen or seventeen. Since Cassie was seventeen now, I assume the photo was taken a year ago or so. I flipped it over to see messy cursive letters: pink and girly, even the 'i's' were dotted with hearts.