Prologue

"Self defence is underestimated" My Father used to say to me with a wink or with a cheerful smirk. My Father is dead now. So is my Mother. So are my sisters. Sometimes I wish I were too but I realise I don't want to die without a good story to tell. So one day I forced myself out of my small flat and tried to make my life interesting.
********************
My best friend was my bed, so being away from it was kind of hard for me. I stepped out of my door into the hallway and locked it. My little flat was cute and comfy; obviously I loved it, who wouldn't?
So I pressed the button for the elevator and waited a while. The hallway was empty and gloomy like it always was. Although I would only come out of my room to get shopping, I picked up a rather melancholy atmosphere to the whole building. I hardly saw anyone walking about but when I did they were always covered from head to toe in black like they had come from the grave itself.
There was a loud "ping" that shocked me out of my daydream and the elevator doors opened. A group of 5 maybe 6 children in brown dull clothing stood stone still just there.
I quickly gasped "oh, sorry I-I'll take the uh stairs."
Breathing deeply at these sudden and curious guests, i jogged lightly down the stairs. Any unexpected movements right now would have sured to have sent me running at full speed.
I hugged my arms over my chest and opened the fire escape door.
There was no one about which was normal for here but for some reason made me uncomfortable.
The strong scent of coffee filled my nostils and I followed it to a small cafe called "sugared dreams". A blonde, happy woman stood outside with a dozen leaflets in her hand. She stared around almost looking for prey to leap upon and express her love for coffee.
I tried to avoid eye contact as I walked past her but she suddenly jumped (which also made me jump) and squealed,"oh hey! Are you going to the Sugared Dreams? Well, I heard it is the best cafe in town and does free coffee samples!"
"I'm good thanks, I just was going to go-" I sarted.
"You must try some they are deli-"
"Mandy?" Said a voice from inside the cafe, "Shaun is here to see you."
She smiled and bounded like a freaking gazelle into the cafe squealing "Shaun!"
The person who's voice belonged to was a dark haired, skinny woman who had bright green eyes.
"Hey sorry, Mandy is a bit over-excitable." The woman smiled.
"That's okay..." I mumbled awkwardly.
"I haven't seen you before, are you knew here?"
"Uh no... I just uh don't get uh out much I guess..." I bit my lip.
"Oh, where'd you live?"
"Just over-" I pointed my finger to the stack of flats where my cute and comfy room lie, soaked in flames.