Chapter one. The fear of flames

My flat was golden orange with heat and all visible windows had smashed with pressure. I stood outside Sugared Dreams, mouth gaping and eyes staring.
"Oh my goodness! That's your flat?Someone call the fire department!" She yelled the last sentence. I heard people talking and felt people pushing infront of me and shaking me but it all seemed distant. Voices were droning noises and feelings were oblivious to me. I just stared.
********************
"So where were you when your flat set on fire?" The policeman with a notebook asked me with an eyebrow raised as people carried my belongings that were saved out of my flat.
"I uh don't know when uh my flat was set on-on-on fire but uh i was stood just over here when I turned around and saw the flames and uh i dunno what started it because I don't leave on any plugs at all and i dont leave any fires lit and I don't use straighteners or whatever so I'm really confused an I think i just want to go home. " i said in a blur of noise.
"I'm sorry miss, I don't quite understand. This is your home right?" He looked slightly concerned.
"Yeah right. Right. Right. I'm just going to get a coffee. " i don't drink coffee.
I was walking, dazed as if i was sleepwalking but everything was real, to the cafe until the woman from earlier stepped infront of my path and lightly stroked my shoulder.
"I know we hardly know one another but, would you like to stay at my place for a while? I have a couple of room mates but I'm sure you'll get along well."
I nodded happily, trying and failing to smile away my tears and she rubbed my back as she gently pushed me protectively towards her car.