Chapter 2. Cianna

“Honey, are you excited to start a new life in a new town?” My dad asks me with a big enthusiastic smile plastered on his face. I shrugg.

          “I guess, but why did we have to come today, I missed the first day of school. I’ll look like a loser who missed the first day.” I answer, looking at my feet.

          “Sorry sweetie, things just worked out that way, but don’t you worry, I’m sure you’ll still make a lot of new friends on your first second day of school.” He says as he unlocks the door to our new house. I walk in and look around. To my left is a small living room with a nice piano. To my right is a dining room, and straight ahead is the kitchen and family room. “Your room is upstairs and to your right Cianna.”

          I walk upstairs and enter my room. It’s a decent size with purple walls. There is only three pieces of furniture; a bed, a desk, and a bookshelf. I sit on my bed and let out a big sigh. I'm going to miss my old town, and my mom...

          “Honey I’m going to make dinner, do you want a hamburger or pizza?” My dad asks, poking his head through my doorway.

          “Pizza I guess,” I answer as I take my shoes off and place them neatly on the floor in my closet. I jump on my bed as my dad leaves and stare at my ceiling. A bunch of questions and thoughts began swirling in my head. Will I make any friends? Are the classes going to be hard? Will everyone hate me? Are the kids nice here? Will I survive this high school?

          My thoughts are interrupted by my dad calling me down for dinner. I get up and go down to the kitchen. We sit in silence for a while as we eat our pizza.

          “So how do you like the new house?” He asks, breaking the silence.

          “It’s okay I guess. Its cozy- I like it, sort of.” I answer before biting into the crust of my pizza. He nods in response and continues eating his pizza. He never really is much of a conversationalist. After I finish my dinner I put my paper plate in the garbage and return to my room to unpack a few boxes lying around. I hang up some of my clothes in my closet and place my shoes neatly on the floor of my closet. I then decide to empty one more box since it’s getting late. I open the box to see it is filled with my books and journals. I begin placing the books in my bookshelf in alphabetical order by author and toss my journals in the bottom drawer of my desk. I put the empty boxes outside my room. When I place the last box down, I hear movement in it. I open it to see that I missed a book. I pull it out and place the box down.

          “The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton, hmm I haven’t read this since seventh grade.” I say, flipping through the pages. This was one of my favorite books in middle school. I decide to read a bit of it before going to bed. I finish the first five chapters by nine thirty before falling asleep in my new bed dreaming about my first day at Abby Falls High School.