Chapter 4. Cianna

My first day of school at Abby Falls High School is going a lot better than I thought it would. I already made a new friend; Riley Anderson. He’s really sweet, and smart. We have quite a few classes together. It’s nice to have someone there to help you in a new environment.

          “Are you ready to go to lunch?” He asks me, grabbing his lunch out of his locker. I nod as I close my locker. He leads me to the lower level of the school and into the cafeteria. When we walk into the cafeteria, I gasp. I know there are a lot of students here but I never expected to see this many people.

          “This is like three times the size of my old school,” I say as we find an empty table in the back.

          “How m-many students were I-in your old s-school?” Riley asks me as he unpacks his lunch. He’s so cute when he stutters… is it weird that I think that?

          “Like three hundred in the whole school, but here it’s like three hundred each grade…” I start to get really nervous.

          “A-are you o-okay? You look nervous.” He asks me, sounding really concerned.

          “I’m fine I guess, there’s just a lot of people… too many,” I say, feeling really uncomfortable now. I was always a bit Closter phobic. I can’t take sitting in this room full of people. Some are even looking at us. I quickly get up and grab Riley’s arm. I drag him off and out of the cafeteria. Once we’re out, I try controlling my breathing, but nothing’s working. Riley quickly realizes what’s going on and tries to calm me down. He suggests that we go up to the library on the third floor to finish our lunches. I feel so embarrassed. So many people saw me running out of the cafeteria and a bunch more saw me hyperventilating in the hallway.

          “It’s going to be okay, you’re safe now,” Riley says to me when we reach the almost empty library. I smile at him and find a seat at a nearby table. He searches the shelves until he finds a book and sits down next to me.

          “The Outsiders, I love that book!” I say when I see the cover. He looks up and smiles.

          “Me too, I’ve read it at least a hundred times. It’s one of my favorites,” He answers before going back to the book.

          “Do they have another copy here? I was in the middle of reading it last night,” I ask him. He nods and points to where he got his. I get up and wander over to the shelves. I finally find it and begin to walk back to our table, but stop when I see a group of guys surrounding Riley. He looks scared and intimidated. I want to go over there and help, but I’m too scared.

          “You’re such a nerd Riley, sitting in the library by yourself,” One of the guys says, pushing Riley.

          “It’s because he has no friends. He’s ashamed to sit alone downstairs so he hides up here.” The other adds, the others laughing. None of the teachers that are here say anything to them at all. They don’t tell them to leave Riley alone or try and stop the guys. Instead they just go about their business like there’s nothing going on. Well I shouldn’t be talking, I’m not doing anything either…

          “C’mon guys let’s get out of this place. We’ll deal with you later,” The last says, giving Riley one last shove. They exit the library and I rush over to the table. I look at Riley and try to get him to look up. When he finally does, I see that he is close to crying.

          “I-is every-everything okay, Riley?” I ask him, full of worry. He won’t look me in the eyes.

          “Oh it’s just peachy.” He replies in a sarcastic tone. “Not that you’d care anyway. You’re just like everyone else. You just sit and watch, but you don’t say anything. I’m out of here,” He gets up and starts to walk out of the library.

          “Wait Riley, please…” I try to stop him, but he won’t listen. He just keeps on walking away from me. “But I’m not like everyone else…”