A new Begining

“Mommy” I cried, grasping onto her hand, as tears flew down my face. “Please don’t go”

I lifted up my head, looking at my beautiful mother who lay in the hospital bed. Wires hooked into every visible part of her skin. She was white as a ghost, and could barely speak. I gripped her hand harder, but loose enough not to hurt her.

She looked at me tears in her eyes, but she tried to stay strong. To cover for her teary eyes she smiled. Using all of her strength she put a heart shaped necklace over my head, she let it go and it slipped right into place around my neck.

“This will always keep you safe, whenever you think of mommy just hold the necklace and I’ll be there. Mommy will always be there for you, even when I’m not here. I will always be with you, in your heart” She spoke softly, stopping in between some words to catch her breath. I didn’t understand what she meant, but that didn’t matter to me, yet.

I looked at the clock that hung against the wall above her window, 11:30 pm. I felt tired but I had to cherish every moment with my mother. I whispered an I love you, she replied with it back. It was the best sound in the world. Until the worst sound in the world came over the machine all the wires were connected to, a long steady beep.

I gripped onto my mother’s hand, screaming and crying, not believing what was happening. The doctors ran into the room, as one yelled at a nurse to get me out. I fought with all my power, as I screamed the word mom over, and over.

I shot straight up in my bed, it was just a dream. Well more like a memory. I smelt something burning, so I got out of my bed, still wearing my old joggers and Lisa’s purple Jack Wills sweater. I made my way to the kitchen to see it on fire, flames were shooting out of everywhere. And lying on the kitchen floor was my father, he wasn’t moving.

“DADDY” I yelled.

Not a flinch.

I panicked, and ran towards him, smoke filling my lungs, and flames reflecting from my eyes. I kneeled down beside my father, shaking him, but he was limp. I put my head down near his nose and mouth, he wasn’t breathing. My eye’s started to tear up. I couldn’t lose him too.

“Daddy, please please please wake up” I cried, letting the tears fall.

I sat in my flaming kitchen, yelling at my father who lay dead on the floor, not worrying about how to get out of the house.

“MAM” A deep voice called out “Let’s go”

I turned around to see a fireman, holding out his hand, and panic in his eyes. I shook my head. He grabbed me and lifted me over his shoulders.

“Please no, I can’t leave my father!” I screamed, fighting to get away.