Chapter 2 - Seed pt. 2

When it seemed like they were far enough away, the group got out of their cars and gathered around Hershel's SUV, taking out a map and deciding what to do next, Rick sending his son off to be a look out. Dean watched them reconfigure, while Sam stood with Beth, who held an old axe, ready defend.

"We got no place left to go," T-Dog said.

"When this herd meets up with us, we will be cut off. We'll never make it South," Maggie said, looking at the map.

"What would you say, there's about 150 ahead?" Daryl asked.

"That was last week," Glenn said, "could be twice that by now."

"This river could have delayed them," Hershel said, pointing at the body of water on the map, "if we move fast, we might have a shot to tear right through this..."

"Ya but if this group joins with that one, they could spill out this way," T-Dog countered.

"So we're blocked," Maggie said, defeated.

"Only thing to do is to double back to 27, swing toward Greenvolt," Rick said.

"Ya, but we picked through that already, it's like we spent the winter going in circles," T-Dog said.

"Ya I know. I know. And Noonin will push West. Haven't been through there yet," Rick countered.

"We can't keep going house to house. Need to find a place to hold up for a few weeks," Rick said, looking up at his wife who was still sitting in the truck.

"Alright," said T-Dog, "Is it cool if we get to the creek before we head out? Won't take long, and we gotta fill up in water. We can boil it later."

"Knock yourself out," Rick replied, waving his hand in dismissal.

Dean nodded to Sam to go with T-Dog and Maggie to get water, and then went to go stand next to Daryl and his motorcycle.

"She can't take much more of this moving about," Herschel said to Rick, putting his hands in his hips.

"What else can we do? Let her give birth on the run?" Rick asked in a low voice, panic evident in his eyes.

Herschel placed a hand on his shoulder, saying; "Do you see a way around that?"

There was silence between the two. Rick looked away as if he didn't want to even contemplate that option. Herschel took his hand off of Rick's shoulder and walked away.

"Hey," Daryl said, bent over and fiddling with his crossbow, "while the others wash their panties, let's go hunt - that owl didn't exactly hit the spot."

Patting Dean on the shoulder, Rick walked away, the pat being Dean's cue to join him.

The three men followed down an old set of train tracks as their path, Daryl had his crossbow and Dean had his demon knife ready to kill any animal that crossed their path.

Daryl looked down at the knife, eyes widening from its size and design.

"Where did you get that?" Daryl asked, becoming infatuated with the intricate blade.

Dean had to think quickly, he couldn't reveal that it was a demon killing knife.

"It was - uh - my father's," Dean replied, internally high five-ing himself for thinking of something so quickly, "I don't know what the engraving is, but I know that it is really old."

Daryl nodded in what seemed like approval.
"I think you and I are gonna get along just fine," he said.

Dean was relieved at this, knowing that him and Sam would never survive here if the group wasn't open to trusting them.