I am Bulletproof

5 years later, Andrew still never returned. I was 17, the same age Andrew was when he was sent out. Women do not have to stay out as long to survive, they must only find herbs and bring back 5 different types. It is a harder task than it seems, and I recall it perfectly.

"Anna? It's today!" My mother called from downstairs. Though our cottage was small, I was allowed to move from my old bedroom to the second floor when I turned 16. I didn't like not being able to see Andrew's now withered memorial stone.

Things have changed much in the 5 years since Andrew was gone. We no longer had to make our own paint, there were workers for that. The army no longer stands guard out in the plaza, now most train in a large cave in a side of a mountain. We have metal jewelry, instead of wood or stone. Many other things were improved to make us more comfortable. 

It still felt like a prison to me. A place of betrayal, and secrets.

"Anna! I told you it's today! Get your things together and get dressed! You must be out of the F.E.A.R. civilization by sunrise!" My mother spoke with more urgency this time. I shuddered and stood up. Anyone going out on this quest must wear the millitary's uniform. 

I found myself daydreaming while gettiing dressed.

*In Anna's Dreamland*

"Andy?! Are you out here?!" I saw a young girl scream. She was in the deepest part of The Wasteland. She seemed to be around my age. She was clothed in ripped black pants, that fit her rather tightly. Her top was ripped and tattered, and would have shown her breasts if not for the black piece of fabric wrapped around her chest. Her hair was black, and fell down to her waist in loose, natural curls. Tied around the crown of her head was what looked like demonic horns, and she held a string attached to a strange star with half circles all around it. It seemed rather heavy. 

But something else wasn't right.

She looked like she had just fell into a tar pit. Her skin was painted black, but was wearing off in some places.

Overall, she looked strange, like no one I had ever seen before. But I recognized her. And that name. Andy? What kind of name was that?

But as much as I denied it, I knew that girl was me. And I was possitive that "Andy" was Andrew.

*Back in real world*

I shook my head. It was absurd. Andrew was gone. He wasn't out there, unless he was a pile of bones. I had accepted that long ago.

I wrestled with the heavy duty boots, and finally managed to get them firmly buckled. I had decided what I would bring with me. I placed a small canteen, some nuts and seeds, and different colored paints in my small bag, and stuffed as many arrows into my small quiver as I could, and picked up my bow. Something was missing.

My eyes landed on the wooden necklace Andrew had made me when I was 10. It was completely wooden, except for the small metal pieces he had found in the forest. The metal spelled out Anna, and was rusty and chipped, but it was the only object I had to remember him aside from a small pebble he had written "Andrew and Anna" on. I had put that on a ring the day he left, and I haven't taken it off since. I was scared i would break the necklace, but I didn't exactly intend on coming back to worry about it too much.

I didn't care if I made it back or not. If I was going to die, I was going to go the same way Andrew did.

I walked downstairs, and hugged my mother. My father was still asleep, and I didn't want to speak to him anyways. I placed my headpiece to resemble a human skull on my head, just as a FEAR transmission was sent through the civilization.