Part One

It was a lovely day. The sun was shining bright on Greenborrow Forest. Beams of light shone through the leaves of the birch trees, making their way to the thriving grass. Greenborrow Forest was most known for always being alive and full of life... Or at least it used to be.

The illusion of my childhood ended, replaced by reality. The charred trees let off a musky smell that stung my nose. I had no reason to particularly like dragons, but this made my stomach turn.

I saw a deer skeleton to my left and backed away, my hand over my mouth. A dragon did this? I was just through this forest a week ago.

I kept walking, keeping my eyes on the lights of the town ahead. Just keep moving...

I burst into the clearing before the town ahead. I caught my reflection the near by creek. This form was one of my personal favourites. The long red hair and dark blue eyes, sharp features and good figure. I thought it suited me. Much better than how I actually look...

This was a hunting and fishing town, so I fit in quite nicely. Even without part of their forest, they were still thriving. The west forest burning down didn't seem to affect their joyous town. It must have been a holiday or something, there was some kind festival taking place. There was lanterns in the shapes of dragons hanging from buildings. In the town square there was shop owners setting up booths, selling a variety of things.

"Excuse me? Miss, could you give me a hand?"

I turned around to see an old man in need of help carrying a crate of trinkets. I quickly ran over and took it from his arms before he fell over. "Here, I've got it." I said kindly.

"Oh thank you! I thought my arms were going to fall off." He exclaimed and pointed to a stand down the row. "I'm just down here."

I hoisted the crate so I could get a better grip and walked towards the decorated stand with a blue awning. "Might I ask what this festival is for?" I inquired, putting the trinkets down.

"Oh! You must be a traveller!" When I nodded in response, he continued. "It's Lady Mae August's birthday!"

I was a bit surprised to hear that. "A whole festival just because of one noble blood's birthday?" I asked, trying not to sound rude. After all, I technically was a noble blood.

"The August Family was our town's saviour! Without them we would all be dead by now." He said happily and then went digging into his box. He held out a small music box, decorated with paintings of vines and flowers and accented with gold. "Please take it, I insist."

I took a step back. "No, no. I couldn't possibly–"

"I insist you have it! Let its music bring you happiness."

I reluctantly picked up the music box and looked at it for a couple moments before gently putting it in my satchel. "Thank you..."

The old man smiled. "I do hope to see you at the festival later." And he turned away and started to unpack his things.

I walked away, my mood improved. I wish everyday could be joyous like this one.

§ § §

Later that night, I decided to stay in the same form but change my outfit. It really was too bad I was here for an assassination job. But what's the harm of taking a night off for a little fun.

 But what's the harm of taking a night off for a little fun