Chapter Two

Rose’s point of view…

            “So what do you want to see first?” I asked, once we were off the stage and away from where people could hear. “Do you want to see the costume shop, or the prop loft, or-“

            “I really don’t care” Louis snapped, suddenly bursting with courage. “I don’t even want to be here.” He grumbled, yanking off his hat and raking his fingers through his hair, his crystal blue eyes did an overdramatic eye roll, before meeting mine. “Just show me whatever”

            I chuckled, resisting the urge to teach the boy some matters. “Costume shop it is, your highness.” I muttered, leading him down the hall.

            Today was Friday, meaning tech day; all actors and techies did work, whether it was building the stage, creating certain props, or making costumes, today out of all days were busy. Since the play we’re performing is The Seagull, a lot of costumes we had needed to be tailored; being a good two decades since the costumes were used.

            Needless to say, Zayn and Kaylyn would be busy in the costume shop, maybe Daniela too. Hopefully they’ll put the kid to work…

            I led Louis down a narrow hallway, and led him inside a small room, nearly half the size of an average classroom. The walls were gray and sketches, some colored and some not, were plastered all over the north wall, shelves for supplies on the west, clothing materials and a rack of costume ideas on the south wall, and against the east wall, three sewing machines with torso mannequins standing beside each one.

            I smiled, gesturing for him to come into the room. “This, is the costume shop!” I said proudly, strolling over to the closest mannequin. “Where we alter or create costumes for the shows, or an escape for actors on the verge of meltdowns…” I chuckled, reminiscing on last year, when Daniela calmed me down when I was stressing over line memorization for The Lion in the Winter…

            “It smells funny in here!” Louis complained, scrunching his nose. His childish response made me roll my eyes, seriously, kid?

            Before I could even respond, Zayn and Kaylyn came bursting through the door, arms full of sketch pads, new white linens, and measuring tape.

            Zayn, my best guy friend, one of those rare straight theatre males, with the big heart for people and for acting, the perfect combination. On the outside, his inked skin, raven black hair and leather jackets may seem intimidating, but he’s just one big teddy bear, an admirer of art and fashion, and one of the sweetest guys around. He’s the guy friend that pretends to be your boyfriend to get guys to leave you alone, the first one to be at your side in time of need, and the first one to make you happy on a gloomy day. He’s the big brother of the troop, and had his heart set on one lucky gal; Kaylyn.

            Kaylyn was of course, oblivious, and Zayn took it upon himself to learn sewing over the summer, just so he can spend Fridays with her when he wasn’t acting.

            “Hey guys!” I chirped as they walked in.

            “Hey Rose!” Zayn replied, setting down the materials on the table next to the door. His eyes immediately met Louis’s, and an unknown emotion fell over his face.  “What’s the jock doing here?” Zayn said in distaste, nodding towards Louis.

            “He’s joined the troop” Kaylyn muttered, annoyance in her voice as well. “Our dad made him join.”

            Zayn chuckled, glancing at Louis again. “Figured, he’d never step foot in a place like this. Heaven forbid His Highness be anywhere but the football field.”

            “Wanna’ know why, Pretty Boy?” Louis mocked, puffing up his chest, raising his voice. I rolled my eyes, standing in between the two of them. “Enough!” I snapped, putting my hands up. I gave Louis a warning glare. “No fighting, or instigating things in the department. If you’re looking for a fight, you might as well be punching Mr. Roberts”

            Kaylyn let out a whistle, chuckling afterwards.

            I gave Zayn a glare too, pointing my finger at him threateningly. “Don’t start stuff either, Zayn. He won’t be here by tomorrow, so don’t waste your time. I get it you don’t like him, but please, outside of theatre. Okay?”

            I glanced at both of the boys to see them nodding, not making eye contact as I yanked Louis out of the room. That went well…

            “What’s his problem?” Louis muttered once we left.

            “He doesn’t like you, can’t you tell?” I chuckled, trying to make the conversation light.

            “Obviously” Louis mumbled, adjusting his sagging pants as we walked to the prop loft.

            “But why?”

            I rolled my eyes, sighing heavily as I turned to him.

            “Zayn doesn’t like you because of how you treat the theatre department. Every time there’s a show, you make fun of theatre, the show, and give people a bad idea of what we do. It goes with everything else. ‘If it isn’t football, it isn’t cool” I mocked his voice almost perfectly, remembering the several times Zayn has gone on rants about him.

            “You’re here because you have to, not because you want to, which is nothing but a waste of energy for us. That’s why Zayn doesn’t like you.”

            Louis smirked, my words not affecting him.

            Of course It wouldn’t, I’m just a weirdo theatre kid, who would?

            “Well, do you agree with Zeek?”

            “Zayn” I corrected.

            “Whatever! Do you agree with him?” He chuckled, amused by my annoyance.

            I cleared my throat, turning on my heels and continued the journey to the prop loft, deciding it was best to hold my tongue.