Petal in the Wind - I

I woke early. There was no reason for this, other than the echoing whisper of my grandma's advice; the early bird catches the worm, Pet. An old habit, one which I'd tried to shake, as my sister often frowned at the dark circles ringing my eyes like bruises. The sky above was still dark, and clouds clung to the sky, shrouding the stars. The iridescent moon shone on the horizon. Next to me lay Violet, my younger sister. Her pale lilac hair spilled across the bed, in stark contrast with my own vibrant pink. I hated my hair, and had ridded myself of as much if it as I could bear. My medium waves, barely reaching my shoulders, poked in every direction when I peered in the mirror, and a faint flush coloured my cheeks. This general rosiness had inspired my mother to curse me with the name Petal, which I now begrudgingly shortened, simply to please her. If I could have had my way, I would have changed my name completely.
I gently lifted my spiderweb thin wings behind me; they shimmered in the moonlight, casting a soft glimmer on my oval face. They had sprouted into existence with my coming of age, almost three months ago. Amongst the Flower Faeries, sixteen is an important milestone in a young girl's life. An age when she must prove herself responsible and refined, as she can now partake in the annual balls that occur every Solstice and Equinox. These balls are the time for young Faeries to be displayed to potential husbands, too. I cringed at the thought. In the mirror I meet my reflection's crystal blue eyes - they pale to a frosted glow in the winter, like a clear pond icing over. I hurriedly applied a soft berry tint to my lips, and decided that my rather flustered appearance would have to do. As I dressed in some tight, khaki leggings and a boat necked, sunset coloured shirt I silently wished that my sister would not wake. I pulled a bramble brush through my messy hair, threw a rushed glance in the mirror's direction to be sure I looked decent enough, then snuck out the roofless cottage to go and meet with Talon.

Petal + Talon For Eternity. Using a dagger that was sheathed at my hip, I carved the promise into the bark of a tree. Looking across the vast pond, in which the moon admired its luminous face, I could see to the horizon. Beyond the line of trees, far away in a new realm, that was were I would start a new life with Talon, Like the words now engraved on the tree, that's how Talon was. Permanent.

I let out a small gasp as strong arms encircled my waist. I turned abruptly to the elf male now standing behind me. This time my gasp was far more audible, and brought a smile to the elf's lips. The grin made my heart feel like it had been healed from a wound I hadn't known existed. If it was possible, Talon looked even more achingly beautiful than ever before. His inky black hair was short and spiky, like a halo of night around his perfect face. Pale skin gleamed in the light of the moon, sparked off of the silver in his stormy eyes, glistened on the gold cuff worn around his delicately pointed ears. I threw my arms around him, his in turn tightening their grasp on me. We stood embracing for an eternal moment, before I at last drew back and stared into those dark grey eyes. I couldn't help it when I shivered. Mistaking my ecstasy for cold, he immediately shed his pitch black cloak and slung it around my shoulders. His chivalry did not surprise me - it was one of the qualities I loved about him. The cloak surrounded my senses with his scent. It was warm yet fresh, almost like cinnamon. His calloused hand grasped mine; we entwined our fingers. He led me over to the edge of the pond, where we sat in the decaying leaves and crunchy twigs. The autumn night was crisp and cool. A gentle, murmuring breeze slid past, rippling the clear surface of the water. I took in the surrounding scene with an instinctive appreciation. A beige speckled owl twisted his head this way and that in an oak tree to my left. The sounds of the wood slowly waking to the rising sun lighting up the horizon slowly faded into my awareness. I sat in content silence, unwilling to leave the warmth of Talon's arms, but reluctantly told myself that if I didn't leave now, Violet would wake up and wonder where I was. I shifted to face Talon. He had a face of warring emotions. His concern suddenly disappeared as he realised I was watching. His soft, accepting smile told me he also knew it was time for us to go separate ways.
"I wish that just for once", he whispered into the smoky sunbeams, "we didn't have to hide from the sun, from the others". I hummed in agreement. I often wished that to. It seemed very like me that I would fall in love with an elf from the Fogwood. Faeries were forbidden to consort with them. For Talon I would break any rule. Before the sun could slip the majority of its face over the tree line, Talon rose, then pulled me to my feet, and we embraced one last time. Then he ran of in the direction of the wood, a silent silhouette against the misty dawn.