c h a p t e r 1

1

My luggage felt lighter with each step I took.

I'm finally here.

I was most excited for my first real adventure to begin. For the new experiences and the new people. However, when my parents agreed to send me to South Korea, they had other ideas in mind.

My mom was sweet about it. She couldn't wait for me to spend time with this side of my family, whom I rarely see, and be much more exposed to my Korean roots. At home, we practice more western customs than anything else. That's why, unlike my oldest brother and my parents, I can't speak Korean.

My stone faced father, however, saw this trip as all business. To be fair, he's right, it should be.

At the end of my senior year all of my friends were heading to college. While I had been accepted to a couple myself, the thought of four more years of school made me want throw myself out the nearest window. So, I told my parents exactly what was on my mind. They seemed disappointed, but being the understanding people they are, they accepted it.

When Uncle Junsu heard about my situation, he had suggested the trip immediately. My aunt and him own a bakery in Gangnam. They are doing quite well, but were rather short on staff and did not have any children of their own to work there. It was clear he was my father's brother when I heard how picky it was when it came to hiring strangers. They're both so specific.

My parents decided the experience would be good for me. The plan was for me to move to South Korea for however long I needed, while making my own money at the bakery, which could definitely come in handy. My father, being the owner over an extremely successful car dealership, easily made up the money for me to make the journey and shortly after, ship my furniture and other belongings that wouldn't fit on the plane.

So, here I am.

I stepped out of the spinning glass doors and took a deep breath in. I couldn't help but reminisce as I remembered the salty California air I was used to at home. Shaking my head, I shunned myself for becoming homesick so easily. For now, this is my home.

The street became even more crowded as people from my L.A flight filed out the airport doors. I spun on my heel to take in the view of the city. Seoul was gorgeous, I could stay here forever.

I had to call a taxi as soon as possible, but wanting to take a look a bit beyond the airport, I took a few steps to a larger paved area with benches surrounding a large fountain. Using my palm as a visor, I looked up at the tops of the buildings as I walked towards the center of the park.

Suddenly, I felt my foot hit something solid and my body begin to waver and tumble. Bracing myself for impact, I squeezed my eyes shut.

It was only moments later when I felt the arms wrapped around my waist. Reflexively, I opened my eyes, peering down at the fountain I had nearly tripped into. I blinked up at my rescuer, his face blurred by the suns rays, and he slowly pulled me to stand on my own to feet. His arms slid from their position on my lower body, "I know it's hot, but I don't think this is the best place to go for a swim."

"Thank you so much," I stammered, letting out the breath I had been holding when anticipating my fall and bowing my head gratefully. I didn't want to think of the outcome if I had fallen in.

The boy's face came into focus as I regained myself. I had began to speak again, but the words got caught in my throat as I studied him. He had smooth pale blonde hair that hung to his shoulders and fair, peach colored skin. He towered above me, causing me to crane my head just the slightest to trace his sharp jawline with my eyes.