Chapter Twenty Eight

Tuesday | July 8, 2014
Kelley's POV

"I'm exhausted." Christen says as she plops herself on the couch next to me.
"Like out of all the days, Dawn decides to torture us. Wednesday's seem like the torture days, not Tuesday's."

I just let out a small laugh as I continue going through the channels on TV.

"You know she's having us do all these fitness stuff to prepare us for next year, right?"

"I'm not dumb Kels, obviously all of our dreams are to win the World Cup." Christen says with a smile.

I smile back at her before I glance back over at the TV.

"Wait, go back." Christen says.

I look at her confusingly but go back to the TV channel that seems to have caught Christen's eyes.

"The news? Since when you were interested in the... Holy crap." I say as I cover my mouth with my hands.

There on the TV screen was a view of a plane crash in West Virginia in a corn field.

"Mother of God." Christen says as she sits up straighter. "Ever seen anything like that?"

"No." I say quietly as I focus back on the TV. The camera zooms in on the sight and it was just heart breaking.

Fire trucks and ambulances surrounded the scenes. Bodies covered in black bags signifying death.

Smoke covered basically the entire scene. It's something that you wish you would never have to see.

"... Investigators are doing a head count on the victims of the plane wreck. So far no survivors have been found. They are still trying to figure out what was the cause of this deadly crash..."

Christen and I just look at each other with sadness in our eyes. 

"... A few victims who didn't survive the crash have been identified. Jeffery Harrison, Michael Bennett, Rebecca Leon, George Curtis, Morgan Brian, Katie White, Ashley Young..."

My eyes widen, I look up at the screen and grab the TV remote and hit pause.

"They didn't say, Morgan Brian did they?" I ask Christen. My voice filled with panic and uncertainty.

"Let's see." Christen says as she grabs the remote from my hands that were already shaking.

Christen rewinds the news and goes back to the spot where the reporter was listing out the names.

"...Rebecca Leon, George Curtis, Morgan Brian, Katie White..."

"Oh my God." I cover my mouth with my hands as tears stream down my cheeks.

"No, this can't be true. This can't be." Christen says as she rewinds the News and has the reporter say Morgan's name over and over again.

I lean my head against Christen's shoulder and we cry. We sit there and we cry.

"I should have called her today." I stutter.

"Julie. We have to tell her." Christen says as she stands up and starts heading for the door.

"I'll come with."

I follow Christen to Julie's room. Each of us walking slowly, not wanting to tear apart our friend.

Christen laid a hand on Julie's door before knocking.