Prologue

I always dreaded going to school. I loved summer vacation just because there was no school. Vacation. The only bad part was that it ended. I had "friends", to say the least. I always showed happiness around people who tried to talk to me, which was rare. I was shy and kept to myself. Most people thought of me as a loner; loner Lissa. I could here people call me that when I would walk by. I was never addressed by Malissa or Lissa; always Loner Lissa.

I sat up in my bed just to lay back down again. "Malissa!", my mom called from downstairs. I refused to answer her hoping she'd let me skip school. Fat chance. "Malissa Elisabeth Marcella! Get. out of bed, it's your first day of school and you don't want to be late!" I cringed at the word 'school'. I reluctantly got out of bed and screamed back, "I'm up already!"

After I showered, I put on my uniform- white polo with a black skirt rolled up to just above my knee and white socks in moccasins- and headed downstairs for breakfast. I ate slowly trying to stall my ride to school. My mom caught on and took my bowl of cereal and grabbed her keys. Shit. "I wasn't done", I snapped. "You have to be or you'll be late honey." I groaned and picked up my bookbag and followed her towards the door to the car.

The drive was silent except for the low radio music. It was low enough to spark a conversation but loud enough not to dare too. I turned it up just in case. We arrived in front of my school ten minutes later. I took a deep breath and said goodbye to my mom. As soon as I was on the sidewalk, my mom drove away. I was officially alone. I stood at the bottom of the of the stairs and took another deep breath. I survived last year, I can survive this year.