Chapter 6

Kellin P.O.V
I walk, well float, down the street along Addilyn's side. The silence is deafening but, I respect her choice to be mute and it would be weird for her to hold up her board to other people's views, no one. So I stay quiet and give her the space she needs. I do admit it is quite annoying that she won t speak but, its her choice. However, I do hope that she'll speak again someday. She keeps looking back at me like she's expecting me to not be there anymore. I cock my head to the side and give her a reassuring smile. She smiles back at me and my heart leapt. She smiled for once and in this light it's breathtaking.

I unintentionally look her up and down and notice scars on her arm. Some look fresh. My heart drops. 'What on earth would make her do that to herself?' ask to myself. I quickly look away and shove my hands in my pockets and look down while walking. I mean what's the point? I'm not solid so not like I'll trip over something. I zone out when walking and notice a flash of black. I look up and notice Addy has stopped. She looks puzzled for a second then terrified the next. She stares at something in the distance and is trembling, I follow her gaze and see this bulky teenage boy walking to her. He looks like the stereotypical jock a**hole. "Oh no" I say to myself. I lean over and whisper in her ear "don't look so scared, that only fuels him. I won't let him hurt you, I promise, I see her swallow and she gives a slight nod. He eventually reaches her and I watch his stance and follow his actions. "

Well, look who it is. The mute freak." He sneers in his deepened pubescent voice. I watch Addy frantically scribble something down. Before she could finish I see him go into the punch stance. I quickly grab his arm pull it backwards sweep my leg under his until he's flat on his back on the cool winter asphalt. He looks stunned and Addy looks petrified. He perks his head up and looks around then at Addy "What the hell was that?!" He shrieks. Addy only shrugs. He scrambles onto his feet and runs away. Addy, still trembling falls to her knees, chest heaving with every gasp. I kneel next to her and rub her back with my ghostly fingers causing her to shiver. She starts to calm down and I help her up. She looks around to see if anyone else saw. 'Don't worry, I made sure the area was clear before I did that." I lie. It was merely luck that no one was around in my freak moment of panic reaction. " I told you I wouldn't let him hurt you." I said and flashed a smile at her. She nods, still looking stunned. I gently push her foreword. " Cmon, you'll be late for class." I whisper and lead her to the door.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________