Prolog

Max

I watch as the flames reach higher devouring the building

I watch as the flames reach higher devouring the building. The screams of the innocent ring out in my ears. It was a church full of people, good people. I'd watched as a mother and child walked in only a half an hour before the flames stared. I could save them. Not all of them but at least some. The fire could not hurt me.

"Come on Blaze, we're done here." Maria whispers in my ear.

She takes a few steps away from me but stops once she notices that I am not following. She turns back to me and frowns.

"I said come on." She growls.

I don't move my eyes are on the burning building.

"Now, Blaze." Maria barks.

Every fiber in my body aches to follow her command, but I resist it. I lift up my foot and take a steep closer to the fire.

"Blaze!" Maria screams but I tune her out. Each step is a little easier than the last. Soon I'm in a full speed run.

"Max!" Maria screeched, but I don't look back.

I throw my side into the door, knocking it off it's hinges. Flames fly out to greet my. I feel their heat lick my skin but I do not burn. I move through the building. The wooden infrastructure is burning and has started to collapse.

I follow the screaming. Their are several screams but I decided to go for the loudest. That person would be the closest and easiest to save.

I turn the corner to see where the screaming is coming from. A woman and a young girl are crouched under one of the pews. I rush over towards them. The woman's eyes widen in horror.

"No, stay away from us. Go way. You've done enough. Leave us alone." The woman cries pulling her daughter into her.

She must be remembering me from earlier. After all I am the one who first started the fire. I'd burned the place just as Maria ordered me too. This was all of my fault.

"I'm not going to hurt you." I say holding my hand out.

"No." The woman screams pulling her daughter tighter against her.

My heart twist, because I know she has every right to fear me. I regret ever walking into this church. I regret that I ever meet Maria. She's the cause of most of the evil I've done, but not all. In the beginning I'd been a willing participant.

A over head beam snaps and brakes. It comes .flying down nearly crushing me. I look back at the woman. She is coughing. The smock is filling her lungs.

"You have to come with me. You'll die if you stay here." I tell her.

The woman looks up at me. Her eyes are full of sadness. She knows that I am her only hope of survival. Her arms unfold around the child.