Part 19

River blinked. She was in the Greenleaf place yet again. Sniffing the air, she caught scent of Forerunner. Her ancestor was nowhere in sight, but River knew she was somewhere in the area. Feeling more energized than she had in days, River bounded into the surrounding undergrowth, following the sweet scent of her ancestor.

As she continued through the trees, River realized that the air was growing colder. The light began to fade, and the trees withered until they were black and bare. Fungus grew on the trunks, glowing with an eerie light. Where am I?

Suddenly, River caught the scent of another cat, however, it was not the scent of Forerunner. Slowing, River crept through the undergrowth, warily tracking this unknown cat. The scent grew stronger until, through the shriveled leaves of a fern, River saw the silhouettes of two cats. She could not make out what they looked like, only that one was far larger than the other. They conversed in low tones, but River could just make out what they were saying.

"And you are sure that this will work? We will rise again?"

"Yes. Even Starclan have seen it. With our help, your next attack will never fail."

"You boast such power, but can you keep this promise?"

"We are ancient, as ancient as your clans, and even as ancient as the tribe's ancestors. Although we have been silent for a long time, unable to...influence our own, we are growing in power now. I can feel it seeping back into me. You would not believe the power we once yielded. Not even Twolegs could stop us."

"But there are only two of you remaining. Sometimes I wonder if two extra cats is even worth my time."

"Don't insult me. We are the ancestors of royalty and leaders. You are merely warriors. In your clans, our cats would have far greater power. Power yielded by only three that you have seen before."

"Do not speak of the three!"

"Imagine that power in your own claws, manipulated solely by you."
River saw the larger silhouette flex its shoulders.

"Do not disappoint me. I did not die disgraced to have some cat come and ruin any chance I have of revenge. If this...one you speak of does not come through, you will be the first I kill."

"Dead cats do not die."

"But they do fade. It has been done before."

There was a moment of tense silence before the smaller silhouette turned away and padded into the undergrowth. The larger silhouette chuckled, then stepped into the light. For the first time, River could see him. He was large, with glowing amber eyes and a dappled black and grey coat. His shoulders were scarred from many battles, and he gazed around with a cold fire in his eyes. Suddenly, he sniffed the air. River stiffened, terror pulsing through her as his gaze swept past the fern she lay beneath. The great grey cat's eyes focused on a spot not far from her. His eyes narrowed.

"You." He growled.