12

"I dont get what the big deal is!" I complained to a very angery Jackson leaning against the door frame.

Shane had driven me home in the early hours of the morning and fled before Jackson could pound his face into the ground like a mailbox post with his fist.

"The big deal is that you're my sister and he's an asshole. He's going to hurt you. He's going to break your heart. No, he's going to destroy your heart and then I'll be the one picking up the pieces." Jackson explained.

"Speak from experience?" I asked.

Jackson rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Drop the attitude and listen to me."

I chuckled. "Sorry dad."

Jackson's eyes went cold.

"I will never be dad." He gritted through his teeth.

He huffed out a frustrated sigh before turning to leave.

I silently laughed as I collapsed back on my bed. I pulled my phone off my bed side table.

No messages.

Not even one from Shane which was unusual.

Normally after he drops me off I get a text asking if I'm okay or if I'm free later.

Hmmmm.

------------

"Maybe his phone died?" Scarlett questioned.

I asked her to come over to tell me it wasn't all in my head.

I needed her to tell me that Jackson was wrong.

That Shane actually cares. I mean he obviously does right? I hope Jackson is wrong.

"So what do I do?" I asked.

"Grow up." Scarlett said. "He'll text or call or whatever when he's ready."

I mean we aren't dating so obviously he doesn't owe it to me or anything but I mean knowing he's alive would be nice.

"I guess you're right." I sighed.

"Plus you'll see him at school. You can grill him then."

I glanced at my phone. The temptation to text him was strong.

"It's literally been like 9 hours since you've seen him. You'll seem like a stalker if you do anything too soon." Scarlett kept ranting.

"Okay. Okay. Okay." I said. "I get it."

"No she doesn't keep going." Jackson shouted from the outside of my closed door.

We both laughed as we heard Jackson walk downstairs.

"But honestly." Scarlett slid off my bed and crawled over to me on the floor.

She put her hand on my knee and looked at me. "I know you don't want to hear it but Jackson is probably right. The guy has his reputation, he has a record, he's known to lose his temper, he's got his drug probl-"

"He kicked that." I cut her off. "He told me he did at least."

"Okay well point is you need to be careful okay?" Scarlett smiled slightly and grabbed her stuff from my bed. "I need to go but please think about what I said yeah?"

I watched her leave the room and I flopped onto my back.

Maybe Scarlett's right. Maybe I just need to wait it out. He'll text me back right?

Oh god who am I??

Paranoid about some asshole who probably hasn't given a flying fuck since day one.

Pitiful, truly pitiful.