Chapter 1 Pt. II

Cytric

I was never one to sleep. Whenever I went to sleep, the eyes of the ones I lost haunt me, causing me to wake up. Despite all of that, I was sleeping relatively peacefully, until I heard someone open their bedroom door. Syntax's room was across the hallway from where mine was, so guessed it was him since the sound came from that direction. A few seconds later I heard the shutter open, and I knew something was wrong. I got up from my bed after hearing the front door open.

Whoever is trying not to make noise, their bad at it. I thought.

I slowly made my way to the door, careful not to step on some steel pins scattered across the ground.

"OH MY GOSH!!" I heard Syntax say.

"Syn?!" A soft female voice exclaimed.

I opened my bedroom door and immediately I saw it. His bedroom door was open. I crept into his room, and found nothing. I walked down the corridor towards the living room. I looked at the shutter door. It was open. I crept up the stairs but rushed back down again. Syntax was talking to a girl that I didn't know in the doorway.

"It's been a while, I must say." Syntax muttered.

"I'm just glad you're alive." The girl said.

"Syntax, who's this?" I called out, walking up the steps as I did. I turned my head to see a girl with auburn hair and aquamarine eyes standing in the doorway. The girl looked past Syntax's shoulder at me. She wore a bloody white top, a pair of tight jeans, and a blue jacket. She was also carrying a black backpack that looked quite heavy. I felt a little underdressed wearing my pajamas, while she was wearing a nice post-apocalyptic outfit. I walked a little closer and I finally saw her stunning face. Her auburn hair flew around in the cool night breeze. Her head was in proportion with her body, which mostly wasn't the case today. I just stared. She was the most flawless girl I'd ever seen. I instantly had a crush on her.

An ear-piercing siren suddenly rang from a mile away. I made out some crows abandoning their nests in the trees and fluttering out of harm's way. They were barely visible in the night sky, considering they were black. A loud voice followed the siren and pierced through the air.

All civilians, evacuate the town within 30 minutes. A government army is on their way to—

The voice was cut off by a loud screech. I squeezed my eyes shut, bent down, and covered my ears with my hand. A moment later, the source of the broadcast exploded into blue lightning looking things. A fit of inhuman laughter filled the air, although it was almost inaudible with the ringing happening in my ears. I turned around to find Syrron dragging himself up the stairs.

"Took you long enough!" I yelled at him over the ringing, although the ringing must've affected him too because he didn't seem to notice my yelling. The first second I saw an explosion, the next we were being illuminated by bright lights. Everyone living on the cliff was outside their houses. I looked around, and I saw men, women, couples, kids, teenagers, mothers, fathers, babies, crying babies, mothers clutching crying babies, mothers clutching their oblivious babies crying, and both. There were so many people here, it was hard to think that people perfectly alive right now were gonna be staring at you lifelessly in mere moments. I was able to make out a Berge and some helicopters in the sky.

Please move out of your houses. Follow orders. Anyone found not cooperating with us will be executed immediately.

"Who are you?!"Someone—a man—shouted.

We are the Resistance.

With that, the man who asked was shot by a soldier with a plasma blaster. The man cried in agony as the plasma spread across his body and penetrated the spot it landed on. A woman, presumably his wife, stared in horror as her husband's chest got torn apart chunk by chunk. I could only imagine the agonizing pain the man felt when a that bolt hit his chest.

I've been hit by plasma bolts before. A very small amount, but it was enough to rip my arm apart. It happened when I was 14, in the Plasmaphisics lab. My partner 'accidentally' shocked my finger with a bolt. I was testing the stability of the contraption we made, and he turned on the switch for a few minutes. The thing wouldn't turn off when he tried to, and I ended up having to rip my hand away from the stand. The doctor said that if I kept my hand there a little longer, it would've been ripped to shreds. And that was only a small fraction of the energy a gun uses. I felt immense pain flow through my arm, and that was already painful enough. Imagining the pain multiplied my hundreds would be a nightmare, much less feeling it. From that day on, I had my 'bestie' do the dirty work, while I just watched.

The woman stared helplessly at her husband. I felt bad for her, but didn't say so.

Please move towards the Berge. You will be taken to a safe zone.

Everyone made their way to the Berge without a word. I regretted not changing and instead blowing time on looking at a hot chick. Meh, nothing I could've done about it anyway. Once in the Berge, the blast door sealed and holographic seats appeared on either side of the Berge. Everyone sat down, and I found myself sitting next to the girl at the door earlier. And then I realized; Syntax was a redhead. Were they siblings? They seemed very close, since their hands were in each others.

"Hi," I said awkwardly.

"Hello," the girl replied, much too cheerful for the current situation.

"I didn't quite catch your name there," I slurred.

"Ever."

"Oh. Cytric."

Thank you for your cooperation. You are now being headed to base.

Although I preferred living near the cliff, being taken into a safe zone didn't sound bad at all. I smiled at that. Most people cheered, but some kept to themselves, while others were deep in thought. I was deep in thought. Although a safe zone didn't sound bad, I had my doubts. Safe zone? It didn't seem likely. After the government started slaughtering people, there was nowhere to run, hide. Nowhere was safe. Despite the uneasiness growing in my chest, I managed to push all of that aside. I went back to sleep. I felt the cabin lights getting dimmer, and just like that, I shut the world out, dozing out.