❦ Chapter 3 - Soccer Bawls

Chapter 3

   When I reached my room, I noticed my patio doors wide open. Goosebumps were sent all over my body and I'm pretty sure it wasn't because of the weather. I never get cold. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and walked bravely over to the even larger double door patio and shut them completely without breaking a sweat.

   It was getting late and I didn't even realise. The sky painted of blue and orange with only a tidbit of white. Birds seemed to be migrating elsewhere since it was already cold here, but there was no reason to be so late about it.

   Pigeons often landed on our garden but every time I caught them, they seemed to fly away. Just f*cking fantastic, now pigeons are scared of me. I emptied my bag onto the floor carelessly and decided on doing the work a bit later after my run.

   I walked into my walk-in closet to find my black sweats that I often used to bed, a purple tank-top, running shoes, and headsets. On my way downstairs, I noticed the living room empty, indicating my parents were probably continuing an unknown argument I had absolutely no idea about and went into the kitchen for a water bottle.

 ~ • ~

   I've only ran about 15 minutes and was annoyed by seeing the same trees over and over. I told myself to keep going, and so I did. Running around the same roads keep bringing me back to my house but I didn't mind.

   When keeping my head down, I noticed the neighbors out in their front lawn. Two tall guys that seemed to be brothers were playing soccer on the field and laughing, having a great time. I huffed. I feel utterly rejected thinking back to the time I was just 9 years old and I asked my parents for a baby sister or brother, in which Mom replied with a 'hell, no' and Dad explaining to me how Mom can't have another child because god only gifted them both with only one, which is myself. How stupid and naïve I was.

   The music stopped playing and I ended up changing the song to a different one without hesitation. I stopped in my tracks to get a better view and next thing I knew, a ball was being tossed in my direction and smacked me in the arm.

   "Sorry!" One of the guys shouted as the other one gasped. I scowled and looked at my arm to see a big and nice red mark across my bicep. "Are you okay?"

   I ignored him and rubbed the red spot, but wasn't fazed by the pain at all. Of course I wasn't fazed, I wasn't about to cry like a girl. "It's really cold out, why're you wearing just a tank top?" He asked baffled by my appearance. He looked into my eyes, trying to figure out if the colour was fake or not.

   "Concerned?" I spat.

   "Well, it is London after all, you're running in this weather with a shirt like that and you just got smacked by a ball–"

   "Ben, shut your mouth." One of the brothers came along, very much intimidated as I was. "Sorry miss, are you alright?"

   "I think I can handle a simple mark." I was about to turn away until a car nearly parked in front of me, causing me to stop in my tracks with gritted teeth.

   "Louis, you nearly killed the girl!" The other brother threw his hands in the air. "Idiot."

   "Really sorry love, did I scare you?" The guy with a brown hair and a beanie asked me. I didn't bother answering, I'm not even sure if that question was sarcastic or not. So far, his voice was hard to read.

   "You didn't," I deadpan glared at him and he seemed shocked by my eye colour. "Could you maybe not look at me like that?" He didn't say anything. After a while, it became very irritating and I was about to leave or kill until Louis spoke up again.