Chapter 9

To say it was weird spying on Roy was an understatement.

He did absolutely nothing. He was quiet and pretty distant towards everyone. He didn't show off any particular skills he might have but what was more worrying was the fact that this might actually take some time.

I had to stay longer.

I had to be human for longer than I would have liked.

Sighing, I made my way towards the school parking lot. It was lunch time and everyone was sitting on the grassy field, studying or goofing around.

I needed to be alone so I made my way towards a large tree that was next to the school building. It looked isolated.

Perfect.

As I made my way there, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. Taking it out, I saw that it was Des calling.

"I understand you miss me, Des, but this is getting really annoying. Stop calling me."

I hung up.

"You know, your friend might just be worried about you. Maybe that's why he keeps calling."

Frowning, I looked for the owner of the voice and sitting under the tree was a girl.

I hadn't spotted her because she was sitting down, reading a book.

With bright hazel eyes and a small smile, she looked up at me, waiting for a reply.

Clearing my throat I glared down at her, frowning. "That's really none of your business."

"You're right, I'm sorry."

That's not what I expected.

"Well, can you leave? I want to sit here by myself."

The girl shrugged. "This is actually my favorite spot but I won't mind letting you sit here." She said, getting up.

Confused, I asked. "Aren't you going to call me rude?"

The girl chuckled. "You are kind of rude but maybe you're having a bad day." She replied, giving a small shrug. "I'm not one to judge."

I scoffed. "Oh please, all humans are judgmental. They judge without understanding."

The girl, her head slightly tilted to the side, gave me a calculated look before saying. "You talk as if you're not human."

"I am human. Obviously. Is everyone here as dumb as you?" I said, frustrated that I let it slip and she caught on to how I made it sound like I wasn't human.

The girl slightly laughed. "Luckily no, no one else is."

"You are very strange."

"So I've been told. Anyway, I'll let you be alone now." She started walking away.

I don't know what came over me. I didn't really care. I wasn't supposed to care but nevertheless I said.

"You never told me your name."

The girl, already walking away, turned around and smiled. "You can call me Maxwell."

I scoffed. "You have a guys name."

She shook her head. "I wear it proudly." She said, slightly puffing out her chest in fake bravado.

I chuckled. "You are strange."

She winked. "I'll see you around."

I watched her walk away and join a few other girls. Together they walked into the building. I shook my head. What a weirdo.