Surprise!

"Lucy!"  His voice pierced my ears.  I could hear his thunderous footsteps getting closer, and closer to my bedroom door.  "I am not in the mood for hide and seek!" He growled and slammed my bedroom door open.  I was lying flat on the ground, under my bed with my hand clasped over my mouth to keep in the sobs.

                I felt my insides shake, and my eyes were wet with tears.  "Your mom isn't here to save you this time." He chuckled loudly.  "You might as well make this easy for the both of us, and come out."  When he got on one of these moods, it was absolutely terrifying.  I never imagined I would be put in a life threatening situation until now.  And I was scared for my life.

                It got quiet.  Almost too quiet.  I felt strong fingers wrap around my ankles, and I let out a scream as I was being jerked from under my bed.  "Please." I pleaded, letting a sob escape my lips.  "Don't, please." I was begging now.

The first strike was across the cheek.  I fell to the ground, and tried to cower back.  The next strike was against my thigh.  "Please!" I yelled.

He only laughed at my struggle.  He kneeled down in front of me, and pushed the hair away from my face.  "Little Lucy, don't cry."  I felt something cold and sharp below my jaw.  I tried to move, but the pain only shot deeper.  His knife was pressed hard enough to hurt, but not hard enough to break the skin.  "What did I tell you about hiding from me?"

I felt the knife break the skin, and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

I cried out, and sat up quickly.  I place my hands to my face, feeling it wet with tears.  No, no, no.  Not the nightmares again.  This can't be happening.  "Lucy?"  My mom’s voice carried into my room as she entered, and rushed to my side.  "Are you okay?" She asked, pulling me into her.

I let out another cry, "The nightmares are coming back."

                "Shhh, it's going to be okay."  She stroked the back of my hair, and kissed the top of my head.  "He's not coming around you ever again, I can promise you that."

                "I just don't want the nightmares anymore." I admitted.

She shushed me lightly, "I'm so sorry, Lucy." She whispered.

I wrapped my arms tight around her, feeling her radiate the warmth that I missed.

                She sat there and held me like she used to.  It wasn't fair to keep her awake with my nightmares.  "You can go back to bed, mom.  I'll be fine."

She pulled back, cupping my face between her hands.  "If you want to sleep with me, you can."

I let a laugh slip, "Thanks, mom."

She pulled me in for another hug, "If you need anything, please come to me."

I nodded, and she left a kiss on the top of my head before leaving.

                I reached for my phone, and my trembling fingers dialed Keaton's number.  "Lucy?"  His sleepy voice answered.

I can't believe I called him.  "Lucy?  Is everything okay?"  His voice sounded more urgent.

My voice came out shaky, "Can you come over?  Please?"

                "I'll be there in ten minutes."

                "There's a key zipped in the pillow on the swing.  Just come up to my room."

He mumbled something, and we both hung up.