Chapter 3

I woke up to the sun streaming in through the slightly parted wooden blinds of my window. I squinted as my eyes tried to adjust to the light they were supposed to be accustomed to by now. When I could finally open my eyes completely, my gaze shifted to the alarm clock placed on my night stand- 8.04 AM it read. I'm surprised mum didn't barge into my room and demand for me to wake up at the crack of dawn; more like 7 o' clock, but oh well. She must be at work. I pushed the comforter off of me and got up, putting my slippers on as I walked into my bathroom.

It then occurred to me that I wasn't exactly feeling cold or chilly like most mornings, I actually felt warm for once. I looked into the mirror and noticed the grey hoodie that hung loosely around me. That's when the events of last night registered back into my mind.

Whoa, I'd snuck out with Logan. To McDonald's. That is so unlike me. I would have never done that. But then again, I did.

I remembered I had Logan's number. I'm not going to text him; or call him for that matter. I'll wait in hopes that he'd want to talk to me.

I took a quick shower, brushed my teeth, made a fishtail braid and wore a blue summer dress I'd bought from my last shopping trip with Cassidy. I paired some strappy sandals with it and applied a dab of make up as I got ready to go downstairs.

You might be wondering why I was dressing up. Well, I'm not going anywhere but that's one of the many rules of this household. 'You're always supposed to look your best.'

I sighed to myself as I put on a few bracelets. I didn't understand the point of dressing up like this all the time. When I see movies, I observe the teenage girls when they're at home. They're always wearing sweats, or shorts, or jeans. I want a pair of jeans so bad. But once more, it's not part of our routine.

We don't really go to the gym since we have a personal gym within our house along with a personal trainer (oh, the perks of living a rich life) but even then, mum doesn't allow my sister or me to wear sweats. We're supposed to wear designer leggings and yoga pants. I don't get her sometimes. Actually, I hardly ever do.

With one final glance in the mirror I proceeded to make my way downstairs. I greeted a few of the maids I'd seen along the way and I finally reached the door of the dining room. The first thing I saw was the packed dining table. It was fully laid with jugs of juice, toast, butter, jam, low-fat greek yogurt and strawberries, along with a bunch of other things. My sister, Rose, was sitting in her chair as she used her fork and knife to cut a small piece of french toast. I went and sat beside her, placing the folded napkin on my lap.

"Good morning."

I started mild conversation as I placed some fruits in my plate and started to eat slowly. As she was done with her bite, she replied, "Good morning. Slept well last night?" She turned her head to look at me with a distant look in her eyes. Did she know? I tried to mask the fear that had washed over my face and simply stated, "I guess. Couldn't sleep for awhile though." She nodded and placed another piece of toast in her mouth, chewed and swallowed. "I see. Did you hear some weird noises in the middle of the night at about...let's say...11.20?" I froze in place.

She couldn't possibly know, I shifted uncomfortably in my seat before replying, "Um, no? Why do you ask?" She turned her face back to her breakfast, "Just thought I'd heard something. Oh, well, I think I'm losing my head." I let out a sigh of relief in my head. Aloud I said, "You must be," I smiled at her, "I guess it's one of the side effects of being a seventeen year old." She grinned back at me, "Well, you're turning twenty one in two weeks!" I hung my head in mock disappointment, "I know. Oh well, at least I'll be able to get drunk in America legally that way." She laughed at the obvious joke, "Of course," sarcasm aquainted her every word, "Because mum would totally let you drink wouldn't she?" I laughed back and said, "I have never drunk anything other than green tea and water in England. And I plan on getting drunk in America. Yeah, right." We carried on talking between swallowing and taking the next bite, not once uttering a word with our mouths full. We were raised better than to do that.