Chapter Three

When I got home from school that day, I stayed in my bedroom for about half an hour, ignoring my buzzing phone. I finally decided to glance at the messages on m phone, only to find they were all from Raveena. I sighed and shoved my phone in my pocket. I grabbed a jacket and slipped on my shoes. I then trudged downstairs, my head bowed and my hands tucked away in my soft pockets.

I came to a stop in front of my mother, who was scrubbing at some coffee stains on the countertops. I stood next to her for a second in silence before she spoke. "What do you need Marcas?" She asked, clearly annoyed by my presence. I cleared my throat as she spritzed the white countertop with some blue liquid, staining the whole surface a bright blue.

"Uh, well, I was wondering if I could go over to a friend's house to work on some homework-" I began to say. She cut me off. "Which friend?" She asked as if I was in an interrogation. "Joe," I said quickly. Technically, it was only a half-lie, as Joe was one of Raveena's brothers. She stood up fully, giving the counter one last swipe with the dirty cleaning rag. "Ask your father," She said. I began to leave, but then she held up a finger. "And I'd like to meet Joe sometime soon if you're going to be spending so much time with him, preferably along with his mother and father," She added, placing her hands on her aproned hip. I nodded. "Sure thing, Mom," I said, lying through my teeth.

I got permission from my father, and grabbed some of my schoolwork to make my story look at least somewhat consistent and convincing. Raveena's house was only about ten minutes away by walking, around three or so if I ran. I decided on walking, and mindlessly shuffled down the streets, bored out of my mind.

When I finally arrived at Raveena's house, the streets were pretty quiet. Her neighbors were playing basketball a few doors down, and there was a set of kids at the end of the street having an imaginary tea party, but besides that, they were empty. I walked up Raveena's driveway and up to her porch, passing by her parent's garden, whose flowers were incredibly perky for it being mid-fall. I rung the doorbell, and almost as soon as it sounded, the door was opened. I was greeted by a tall woman with a chubby toddler on her hip, who was yanking at her jewelry. Her face lit up when she saw me.

"Marcas! Come in, great to see you! It's been a little while, hasn't it?" She stepped aside to let me in. I smiled at the welcome visit. "It sure has. It's nice to see you again, Ria," I greeted her. She gave me a soft smile. Raveena's other mother, Laura, came around the corner, sporting a similar grin. "Marcas! Good to have you by, would you like anything to drink?" She asked, giving me a quick, warm hug. I shook my head. "No, but thanks," She nodded. Before Ria or Laura could say anything else, a little boy rushed into the room, clinging onto my leg, yelling excitedly, "Marcas!"

The room was filled with an eruption of chuckles as one of Raveena's brothers, Luke, clutched onto my leg, jumping up and down in pure excitement. I laughed and gently pried him off my leg. I ruffled his hair, eliciting a loud giggle from him as he batted my hands away. He stuck his tongue out at me, putting his hands on his hips. Everyone laughed, and Laura scooped him up with a "Come here, you!", and pressed a light kiss to his temple. She bounced him up and down before tossing him up in the air and catching him, throwing him into a fit of hysteric giggling and shrieking, his arms flailing in all directions. Ria smiled sweetly and softly, watching the two of them for a few moments before turning back in my direction.

"He's gotten so tall," I commented with a laugh. She nodded. "God knows how all of these kids have gotten so big!" She grinned.

I had to agree. Despite none of them being biologically related, everyone in Raveena's family was tall. Hella tall. Raveena was the tallest at just over six feet, and both her mothers and her brother were a few inches behind her. Her younger siblings were all rather tall for their age, and it seemed like they were going to turn out to be towering figures. Though I hate to admit it, I'm short, and anyone taller than me is rather intimidating, (which pretty much includes everyone), but I always feel comfortable around Raveena and her family. It's weird. Then again, having long conversations with Raveena annoys me, as with about a full foot's difference between us, my neck always hurts. Raveena being the equivalent of a tree doesn't really annoy me, other than when she uses me as an armrest or makes cracks about my height. She usually refrains from doing the latter too often, as I have bony elbows at my disposal, and a sore, bruised stomach isn't exactly easy to walk around with.