Chapter Twelve

For the rest of the evening, the entire house had fallen was in a solemn silence. Even Raveena didn't speak much, zoning out, staring at the ceiling as she laid down in bed. I didn't strike a conversation with her, too busy replaying the events in my mind. I had trouble sleeping, images of the fiery inferno flashing into my head, coupled with the cries and screams of the woman and her children. I buried myself under the covers, forcing myself to focus on nothing but my breathing. I didn't succeed at first, but eventually I had dragged myself into a light sleep.

The next morning was a bit quieter than normal, but it was nothing drastic. Hailey occupied herself with working on The Songbirds. Stewart assisted her on a few occasions, but was mainly up in the workout room with Raveena.

After lunch, I meandered around the house, eventually coming to the kitchen. Sophia was finishing up a phone call. She rubbed at her forehead, clearly stressed. She spoke for a minute or so before hanging up. I cautiously approached her, setting myself down on a stool at the kitchen island.

"Hey," I greeted her, my voice soft and quiet. She smiled in response. I let a brief silence come between us before I spoke again. "What was that about?" I asked. "You don't have to tell me, I was just curious," I quickly added, realizing my question was a bit prying. I mentally chided myself on being nosy.

Sophia answered nonetheless. "I was talking to Iris. She lived at the house from yesterday," Sophia elucidated, adjusting a pair of reading glasses she had on. "Is she doing okay?" I asked. Sophia nodded. "Her husband, Daren, is still in the hospital," She said. She let out a sigh. "He's doing good, but he has severe burns. He'll be getting skin grafts, though they think he'll have some serious scarring," Sophia explained, her hand returning to her forehead, rubbing circles into her temples. I hesitantly reached out an arm. I patted her lightly on the back a few times, a sympathetic look on my face.

There was an extended silence between us, interrupted only when the doorbell rang. Sophia, who looked as if she was lost in her thoughts, flinched. She snorted at her own reaction, and stood up. "I'll get it," She declared, and moved towards the front room.

I sat around, unaffected by the interruption. I could faintly hear the conversation at the front door, and I froze at the first exchange.

"Hello ma'am, I'm with the Hoover Police Department-" I didn't hear the rest. I gripped onto the counter. My mind instantly rushed to the worst.

Oh god, is she here for me? Someone must have seen me and-My frantic thoughts were cut off by the next words.

"I'd like to ask you 'bout the fire on Bellevue Terrace," The officer explained. "Of course, I can do that," Sophia said. She paused. "Do you want to speak outside?" She asked. I could hear the two head onto the porch, the door closing behind them.

I released a breath I didn't even know I was holding. I let go of the countertop's very edge, my knuckles and fingers white from gripping so hard. I drummed my fingers on the smooth granite, chewing at my lip. My heart was still racing. I rubbed at my chest, feeling the strong thumping beneath clearly.

Filled with a bit of nervous energy, I lept up from my stool, and began pacing around the kitchen, scratching at my arms. After about a minute, I started poking around in the cabinets, still unfamiliar to where everything was. I finally found a glass, and filled it with some sweet tea that was stowed away in the fridge.

A few minutes after guzzling most of the iced tea in the fridge, Sophia came back inside, saying a farewell to the officer. Before I heard the door shut, the policewoman ran back up to the door, her feet thumping on the porch as she approached.