Chapter 4

A/N: Sorry I haven't updated in a while. This chapter is a wip and needs editing :)

~Muuji

By the time Aelon had reached base, the sky was dark grey and the beginning of heavy rain was spitting on his face. The priests and mystics, including Uyumi, we're tending to the last group of injured and the fatigue they were all feeling was clearly etched onto their faces. He sat on a damp log and rubbed his raw hands over the campfire.

The air had cooled off considerably now and a few other comrades joined him in seeking warmth. He could see Nihmadel in the distance tending to the wounded and shifting castanic bodies with his foot. Aelon sighed aggressively and looked for Uyumi. Despite how much mana that bastard had, it wasn't an eternal source and he'd use it up in a heartbeat if it meant saving someone. He needed to be more careful when defending himself, never mind healing a sprained ankle. Aelon would much rather that the elf healed himself.

"Aelon?" A clear and feminine voice shouted behind him. The castanic jumped, getting one of his long horns caught in a tree and swearing colourfully before detaching himself. Spinning round, he frowned and turned to face the person who had called him. There he found a young doe-like girl, with large brown eyes glittering with mirth. He would have called her cute, until he saw her covering her mouth in attempt to stifle her laughter at Aelon's humiliation. Aelon felt the blood rise in his cheeks and he snarled.

"What do you want?" He narrowed his eyes at the short girl. Trying to make out that his flushed face was not due to his embarrassment but rather because of his animosity. Despite his best efforts, the faunus grinned and stuck out her hand.

"Haven't you heard? We're working in groups of three for the next few assignments. I'm Aster, stealth specialising rogue. Nice to meet you."

~~~

She decided to watch the castanic for a while before approaching him. An archer, that was clear from the large bow which rested on his back. His body was powerfully built yet it had a lithe quality which could only have been achieved after years of agility training. It wasn't a wonder that he liked forests. His bronzed skin and dark green hair gave him resemblance to a tree, not that Aster would tell him that of course, first impressions counted after all. Uyumi's comparison to a spring seemed very accurate. He sat tensed up and restless, clearly itching to shoot things. It was a good match she supposed. With her meticulousness, Uyumi's selfless attitude and Aelon's recklessness they could all build and support each other. Aster gathered her resolve and decided that it was time to gather more information on her team. It looked like Aelon might be harder to break than the elf who almost willingly gave away information on how he fought and the sort of person he was.

"Aelon?" she shouted, directly behind him. Time to test Uyumi's embarrassment theory. The castanic leaped from his seat in shock and if that wasn't humiliating enough, got a horn wrapped in tree branches. The doe mentally rolled her eyes, perhaps the one that Uyumi held in such high regard was truly a dunce. Once he'd detached himself he turned to face the faunus girl, pouting furiously with narrowed eyes which shone with murderous intent. Aster couldn't help but laugh at the whole ordeal.

"What do you want?" Aster didn't miss the prominent blush that covered his cheeks as he snapped at her. What was it that the elf had said? Blushing like a bride? She sighed softly, she really had struck gold with this pair. It had ended up being worth the hassle of foiling previously well foiled arrangements.

"Haven't you heard? We're working in groups of three for the next few assignments. I'm Aster, stealth specialising rogue. Nice to meet you." The doe watched Aelon's response intently. Instead of looking angry like she'd expected, he looked dumbstruck and his mouth was open as if to retort.

"Wait. You're telling me that I have to work, fight and train with you for months on end. Suffering with your bullshit and stupid laugh without having a break?" Aelon huffed loudly and Aster smirked.

"Precisely, but with another person." Ah, the joys of toying with a person's emotions. She loved it, controlling people to feel how she wanted them to. Aelon ran a hand through his hair and scrunched up his face in disgust.

"And you know who the other member is?" He asked slowly, fearing the response.

"I do. In fact, it's about time you two meet."