A dead promise

Gale opened the door and get in his new house. His wife and daughter were at vacations in district 4 so he had a week to relax. His new deluxe work in district 2 gave him the opportunity for him and his family to have a luxury life. It was a usual day. He just came in the house, take the letters from the mail box and throw them to the coffee table, when his eyes turned to see a white invitation. It was the invitation for Katniss and Peeta's wedding. It was there for more than ten years but he wasn't able to move it. His wife knew that Katniss was his best friend, and it was something that he wanted to have so she didn't throw it away. He even promised her that Katniss was nothing for him than an old friend. Dead promise. But Gale was keeping it so he will always remember that Katniss was with someone else. He went to the wedding. Alone. And he made sure no one sees him. He thought that Katniss didn't really loved Peeta, but she made it clear to him through her letters. She was really in love with him. He was the one she couldn't survive without and that made him feel even worst.At the weddingKatniss looked happier than ever. He was wrong. Katniss could be happy somewhere else than the woods. He was in love with his wife, but Katniss was a big chapter of his life. He shook his head and opened the television to forget whatever he was thinking. While he was going to the fridge a familiar voice fill the air. Caesar Flickerman's voice was all over the place and his every word was a punch on Gale's stomach.

"Ladies and Gentleman, I present you the legends and victors from district 12. You knew them as the star-crossed lovers of the 74th annual hunger games. You saw them on their wedding. And now we have them here today because after more than ten years of their wedding, Katniss Everdeen gave birth to their first child!"

And here they are, both of them. And in Katniss's arms a tiny baby girl. So small with big blue eyes looking curiously the big lights. It was obvious that it was their baby. He was in shock. The last time he saw Katniss, she didn't want to make a family, nor have children. She promised. A dead promise.

"We named her Willow" Katniss said "Peeta chose the name when she was born" she added looking at him. Peeta's eyes lit up, but it was obvious that he wasn't still in love with Katniss. He had fallen in love with the tiny little baby in Katniss's arms.

"It's just amazing. I can't believe I finally have her!" Peeta said. His voice steady but he was ready to cry. Katniss the same.

"We feel so..." Katniss started "...complete!" he added

And that was the last hit. Gale's legs couldn't bare his weight anymore. He fell on the floor and he hid his face on his palms. He wasn't sure if he was crying. He was just there. Then the anger started has control on him. He grabbed the beer he was holding and throw it the tv breaking it in little pieces. It was all silence in the room. Gale left the house and started punching the walls, ruining everything in there. And then when he finally stopped to see his bleeding hands, the sadness overtook him. He fell on the couch without moving. You could think that he was dead. He grabbed every liquid they had and started drinking and drinking and drinking, to forget. To forget that he had lose and Peeta was the winner... He grabbed the invitation from the table and held it between his fingers.

"...I...will...be...back..." he managed to say, giving a promise to himself.

A dead promise.

With a small spark of light.