Chapter 14

14

The next day, Leah slept in late.   She took her time getting dressed and because there was nothing else to do decided that some fresh air would be a good change.   She was pleasantly surprised to find Declan still around while on her way down the stairs.  It was almost noon.  He half turned to look at her and smiled.  Those dimples.

Her stomach did a quick tumble in a way that was fast becoming an annoying habit. 

She smiled.  “You’re still here.” 

“Hmm.  Had some stuff to take care of.”  He frowned, preoccupied with some mail that he was busy with.     

“Did you manage to find out anything else yesterday?”  She asked hopefully.

He nodded, and surprised her when he began telling her about it on the way to his room. 

She slowed down behind him and stuck her hands into her back pockets to steady herself.  “He’s here then?”

He heard the small vibration in her voice and turned to her, his deep blue gaze reassuring.  “It’ll be okay.  He knows you’re around, but he doesn’t know where.  I’ll make sure it stays that way.”

It was then, that she noticed the odd colour on his cheek.  He saw her stiffen, knew what would come next.

“What happened?” 

“Friend of mine wasn’t too happy I found him.”  He tossed the mail on the dresser, went to the cupboard and pulled out an expensive looking charcoal suit.  Then he reached for a pale blue silk shirt.  He considered the garment for a moment and grabbed a matching tie. 

“Was it Zach?”  She asked when she realized he was avoiding her.

“No.”  He shook his head when he saw her lower lip tremble, fighting the need to reach out and comfort her.  “Don’t do that.”  

She turned away from his penetrating gaze.  “You don’t know who you’re dealing with.  These people are dangerous.  I don’t care how tough you think you are with all your friends in high places, but you’re all as good as dead.” 

“Are we now?”  He raised a brow, challenging her statement.

She raised both of hers, shocked that he could be so smug about it.

“I’m sorry Leah; but I can’t walk away from this even if I wanted to.”  He bit his tongue before he said too much and yanked off his T.  

“I have to change.”

Leah’s eyes followed his movements of their own accord.  She hadn’t missed the last remark, but her mouth was suddenly too dry to speak. 

He was perfection personified.  Standing there while he was half naked sent her pulse soaring.  The beast on his back writhed with every move he made, and this close to him, she noticed something else she hadn’t seen before.  There was a neat little hollowed out scar near the eye of the dragon.

 Gunshot wound? 

Her finger brushed over it tentatively, and he stilled.  She felt his body go rock hard under her touch. 

“What’s this?”  She asked softly. 

“A reminder of how lucky I am to be alive.”  He answered quietly over his shoulder.  His head was half turned towards her, but the tightening in his jaw told another story.  He slipped on the shirt forcing her to let go of him.  As he turned away closing the first two buttons, he closed the subject as well.  She ignored the silent warning and moved the fabric apart.  Her finger reached out to another neat circle, but he jerked away before she touched him.  This one was right beneath his rib cage, just below his heart.