Chapter 17

17

Declan caught the bottle of aspirin Sean tossed him after he’d washed his face and changed into some fresh clothes.     

Sean smiled grimly as Dec shook out his ruined jeans, looking for his phone.  Work first. 

He had to admit though, that he looked much better now except for the cut on his forehead, which had finally stopped bleeding, the split lip and a couple of scratches.  Everything else would be hidden under the cover if his clothes.  Now at least he’d be presentable enough not to send Leah into a furor.  Still, after what happened in the car, Sean made sure to stay close by just in case.

“Kane?”  He swallowed a couple of aspirins and washed it down with a grimace.

“I heard about the accident.”  Kane told him.

“Hmm…I’ll live.”  Dec muttered after a long swallow.

“To what do I owe this pleasure then?” 

“You and me need to talk.”  Declan went over to the window and peered outside, before leaning against the sill.

“So talk.”    

“I met with Reed.”

“Are you nuts?  You mess around with those guys and Zach is going to slip out of our hands.”  Anger was plain in Kane’s voice, but with the mother of all headaches, Dec chose to ignore him.  

“He wont.  I have a plan.”

Kane snorted.

Declan continued as though he wasn’t interrupted.  “This has to end one way or another, and...”

“What?”  He cut in.  “One way or another?  There’s only one way this will end, O’ Brien!  You go head to head with Zach and you won’t make it out!”

Declan could feel the storm brewing inside, and fought hard to control it.  “I’ve had enough of your games.  There’s something else going on here that you’re not telling me.  I can feel it.”

“To hell with your feelings, just stick to the plan.  Find him and take him out before he hurts my daughter.  No contact with him whatsoever!  Understand?  Just do your job, no questions.”

 “Why?  You used me before, and now you’re doing it again.  I’m warning you Kane ...” Dec breathed into the phone.

“Don’t make threats you can’t keep.”  Kane told him quietly.  “I knew Quinn would get to you.  Just don’t forget what we can do...”

“Do it then.”  Dec challenged.  “But don’t forget one thing.  Right now, I’m the only person standing between Zach and your daughter.  If he gets her, he gets you too.”

“You don’t know what you’re saying Declan.”  Kane stated flatly.  “Remember that last assignment.”  It was a statement, not a question.   

Remember?  How could he ever forget?

“What about it?”  Dec asked.

Kane hesitated. 

Declan heard him heave a sigh of frustration. 

“Just wait for backup.  Please.”   The line went dead. 

Dec squeezed the phone in his fist angrily.

Wait for backup?  Like the last time?  No way!  This ends now.