You Ain't My Daddy

Nettie

It was so silent that you could probably hear all of the pins drop.

"Well, uh Nettie. We were gonna pay a random person, you know? So none of us are in danger. Especially not you," dad began.

"Yeah. You're the closest thing we have to a sister," cousin Mario said, "other than, you know, Lia."

"Rio, I know. But I wanna help. And plus, I'm black so, unless we've been scoped out by them, they won't think I'm family. And, I don't ask for any money, so y'all can save the thousands you would have given to someone else. So, basically, everyone wins," I say, trying to convince them.

"I don't care about money. You're not going," Soren says.

I look at him like he just lost his damn mind. "And why the hell not?" I ask.

"Because I fucking said so," he replies.

I make a confused face and look around. "Is he talking to me?" No one answers. "Fido (Uncle Alfie), he ain't talking to me, right?" Uncle Alfie just shrugs as if to say "I don't even know".

I look back at Soren. "Were you talking to me?"

He looks exasperated. "You're the only one who came up with that stupid idea, so of course I'm talking to you. I'm not letting you go out there. Then muhfuckas are dangerous, if you didn't already know. I refuse to let you put yourself in that situation. If you wanna help blow their brains out, cool, but I forbid you from playing this role, dammit!"

I chuckle. "Aw shit," I hear Uncle Francisco whisper, "he's about to get it."

"I'm lost. Last time I checked, my FATHER was dead. So don't sit here and talk to me like I'm your child. And the only person you should be bossing around is whatever little STD infected hoe you got for the day. Don't you EVER forbid me from doing whatever the hell I want. I said I wanted to help and if this is the way I want to be of assistance, then so fucking be it. If you haven't noticed in all of our years of friendship, I know how to take care of myself. I don't give a fuck about what you do and don't want me to do. Unless yo slow ass sperm connected with my mama's egg to produce me, you will not talk to me any which way. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with you or what type of balls you all of the sudden grew, but Nassiha Nephthys Leighanne Clarke ain't the one, you fucking ignorant piece of shit fucking asshole! Who the fuck do you think you are?!"
Obviously, I went off just a little bit. I'm just sick and tired of this new thing he has going on. He's being a little too over something. It's not overprotective, but it's like he's more adamant in making sure I'm safe. Nigga, I'm the fuck good. Thank you.
Anyway, he has something to say. "Huh? Come again. What you say?"

"You asked who I thought I was. I said that I'm the guy who will not let the woman he loves put herself in such a stupid predicament," he says angrily.

"One: if it involves my parents, it's not stupid. Two: I love you too, Sallie, but you have to und-"

"Goddamn it, Nassiha, shut up! I'm saying I love you!" He yells.

I'm taken aback. "Nigga, I said I l-"

"No! Like I love you, dawg! Like I'm in love with you! I can't watch you in this fucking situation because I'm in love with you! There?! Are you happy now?!"