"o"

It's nearly 3 in the morning and Maine knew Alden's call time for SPS is at 9 AM. He should be going home by now if he wants to catch some sleep before heading to the studio but then again, Maine doesn't want him driving by himself at this unholy hour.

"Yung mga gamit mo ba for SPS naka-ready na? Pahatid na lang natin kay Riza. Dito ka na lang matulog."

"May masamang balak ka sa'kin, Nicomaine Mendoza?," Alden teased.

"Oy, wala ah! Ang feeling naman nito," she answered back. But Maine turned red at the thought.

Alden took out his phone from his back pocket and stood up to stretch. He called Riza, gave her instructions, and then went back to the couch to sit beside Maine.

He reached out for her hand and absent-mindedly caressed it with his thumb. He does this a lot, even on national TV, not noticing that it has become a habit. She leaned unto his chest, her head partly resting on his shoulder, her face right smack on the crook of his neck. He pulled her close and wrapped him in his arms. She inhaled his scent and marveled in it.

They stayed that way for a long time, neither of them not wanting to break the spell of the moment. They were comfortable. She heard him take a deep breath and she relaxed in the warmth of his embrace. They both know they could do this forever.

Alden broke the silence because he needed to tell her what his O gift was.

"Alam mo, never ko inexpect na magiging ganito ako kasaya. Dati kasi feeling ko, sobrang unfair ng mundo sa'kin.

I grew up not having much pero I didn't mind kasi kumpleto kami. Naalala ko, pagkagising namin ng mga kapatid ko sa umaga, nagluluto na si mommy. Every day, walang palya, pagpasok namin sa kitchen, andun sya. Nakangiti.

Golden rule sa bahay na kailangan sabay kaming lahat mag breakfast. Umaga pa lang, nagtatawanan na kami. Walang nagmamadali parang hindi nauubusan ng kwento.

Tapos lumalabas kami every Sunday, pasyal lang kahit saan. Lunch kasama lolo at lola ko. Ang saya lang.

Pero when she got sick, lahat nag-iba. Hindi na niya kayang magluto. Hindi na pwedeng mag-ingay kasi nagpapahinga si Mommy. Hindi na pwede ang unnecessary expenses kasi may pinaglalaanan na yung money.

Akala ko nasanay na ako sa hindi. Pero masakit pa rin pala. Nung nag start ako sa showbiz, andaming rejections. Left and right, Maine. Hindi daw ako pwede kasi walang star quality; hindi pwede kasi hindi leading man material; hindi pwede kasi walang talent.

Kahit sa lovelife, ganun din. Puro ayaw, puro hindi. It seems na palagi akong kulang.

Andaming tao ang nagsabi sa akin ng hindi at ayokong mangyari sa'yo yun."

Maine could see that there were unshed tears in his eyes. He was trying his best not to cry but his voice gives away his emotions. She repositioned herself and faced him, cupped his cheeks, and planted a chaste kiss on his lips.

She doesn't know where he's going with this but she let him. He looked at her tenderly and held both her hands.

"Maine, there will be people who will make you question your self-worth. There will be times when you'll doubt if you are good enough. When the rest of the world tells you no, ako ang OO mo.

Oo, maganda ka.

Oo, magaling ka.

Oo, kaya mo.

So that, Maine, is O."

I will be the resounding YES amidst all the No's.

Dahil oo, Maine, mahal na mahal kita."