Plus Four

Maine got a lot of gifts on her birthday

Maine got a lot of gifts on her birthday. She opened the door to a room full of presents from family, fans, and friends. Truly overwhelmed, she had to take a photo and post it on Twitter.

But of all the gifts that she received, these are her favorites. All nine gifts came from Alden, of course.

While the rest of the gifts were temporarily deposited in a vacant room adjacent to hers, Alden's gifts, except for the African Lovebirds, were all inside her bedroom.

She appreciates Alden's gifts but more than the tangible things, she loves the stories behind each gift.

Alden is a meticulous gift-giver, this much she had known for quite some time now. He carefully plans them out. In fact, he does his shopping by himself.

So eto na nga.

He gave her five gifts. Everyone who was tuned in to Eat Bulaga that day knows that each gift represents a letter in her name. So there was the medallion for M; African love birds, or alaga, for A; an illustration for I; a pink notebook for N; and, ehem, a boxed gift for E which he said is for her eyes only.

After the show ended that day, Maine and the rest of the dabarkads were inside the hosts' room. She brought lechon to the studio and her parents sent food, too - a lot of food, really. The atmosphere was festive. She was happily swapping stories with Pauleen and Patring when Alden came over to interrupt.

"Ahm, excuse me, pwede ko ba hiramin muna ang birthday girl?"

Pauleen shot him a playful look and answered, "Kanina pa kayo magkadikit, Alden. Pwede ba kami muna? Kasi magkasama na naman kayo mamaya nito eh."

"Sige na, Pau. Sandali lang," he pleaded.

The girls did not have any choice but to give in. Alden took Maine's hand and gently pulled her outside and into an empty room.

"Uy, Tisoy! Anong meron?," Maine said as Alden pointed for her to sit on the couch. He was rummaging through his things and when he finally found what he was looking for, he sat beside her.

"I gave you five gifts, right? M-A-I-N-E." Maine nodded in response.

"Pero hindi naman yan ang complete name mo, d ba? It's Nicomaine. So I have here N, I, C, and O."

Maine opened her mouth to say something and then closed it again. This guy is just too much, she thought.

She sighed and said, "Alden, alam mo naman I appreciate anything basta galing sa'yo. Yung sa'yo talaga. But you don't have to spoil me. Alam mo yan."

"I know, Maine. But I want to. Kaya hayaan mo na ako. I haven't done this for anyone for many, many years na and it feels good to be able to do this again, especially for someone as special as you."

She felt giddy all over, she could swear her insides are turning to jelly.

"Ikaw talaga. Bago mo pa ibigay yan, tell me the story behind each gift. Please?"

"Ngayon? Dito? Gagabihin tayo, Maine."

"May rehearsals ka after this, d ba? Late dinner tayo. I'll cook for you."

He said yes, and then she gave him a light kiss on the cheek and ran out the door.