Of Fate and Misery Avoided

[Alice sits down and tells Carlisle and Esme their fate. And Carlisle and Esme have a discussion if the need arose where one of them lost each other, the song hints to that part of the story.] 

It had been two weeks since the battle, things were settling down. But Alice couldn't settle knowing what she did about the battle that never happened because, thank heavens, Aro changed his mind. Esme and Carlisle were in his office, cuddled on the couch, giggling and talking like the normal 23 and 26 year olds they once were. A small knock brought their giggles to a stop, "Come in," spoke Carlisle. Alice slipped in, Carlisle had noticed her demeanor change. 

"Can I speak to you both?" asked Alice, a lot of reservation in hr voice. 

Esme smiled, "Of course you can. You've not been yourself." 

Alice nodded, "Aro changed his mind, after he saw my vision of what would have happened if he went to battle." 

Carlisle looked at her, "Tell us, Alice, get it off your chest." Carlisle had no idea that Aro would have gone to battle if Alice hadn't of shown him what happens, though he was curious to why Aro would change his mind. 

"Two wolves, and two of our family die." she whispered, "All of the Volturi do die, and Renesmee would have gotten away." 

"Two wolves? And two of us? Who?" asked Esme. 

Alice swallowed. "Well, Seth and Leah die for the wolves..." 

Alice closed her eyes, now she was stumped at this. "Carlisle and Jasper...." Esme's hands tightened on Carlisle's and reached for Alice too. She was torn through relief, hurt, anger. She'd have been left alone, with their children and potentially watch Alice self destruct. Along with herself, she started to wonder what she would be like now if Carlisle had of been killed. 

"What happened?" Whispered Carlisle, voice completely gone. Shock. 

"Aro went to take me captive, and you decided to challenge him. He ripped your head off midair and set you on fire. Esme and the family were inconsolable then, and started the war. Then I think it was Seth next, snap of the neck. And then Jasper was pained by Jane; Bella had been attacked. But Leah's death would have been honorable, she died saving Esme." Carlisle looked to Esme and squeezed her hand back. 

"I wouldn't live if Carlisle wasn't on this earth with me." stated Esme. 

"Edward and Bella killed Aro. Edward had decided to avenge your death, Emmett decided Jasper would be remembered. It was just... all that... death. But the thought of our family losing you. I can't imagine the thoughts of how Edward would have handled it, Rose too." Alice frowned. "I tried to see the future forward, but it didn't happen so am thankful. But Jasper and I are going to go away for a little while, not forever, but to recoup, and gain that sense of safety. The longest we'll be gone is a year." 

"A year?" whispered Carlisle. It felt like Edward all over again. 

"Jasper could have died, Dad. So could have you, it's hurting me. That was the one time I wished I never had that gift. I just need time with just Jasper, like Esme needs with you. She's already deciding ways to keep you safe." 

Esme's head was spinning a million miles an hour, with Carlisle would have died. Leah saved me, but she wanted to join Carlisle. 

"Don't leave quite yet," spoke Carlisle. Alice nodded, her normal quip attitude gone. "Of course, we'll leave in a week." 

"Esme, my dear." spoke Carlisle, trying to think of something to say. "I'm here." 

"Can you not go to work for just a little while? I know being clingy won't change the situation but I just need to see your face a lot longer than just tonight." spoke Esme. 

"I will stay as long as I need too, for you, my love, I am here. But perhaps, we should make a promise to eachother, if this situation arises." he spoke. 

"What? Promise?" she asked.

"That if I die, you will carry on and never forget me," spoke Carlisle, "That you'll find your happiness again." 

Esme wished she could cry, because she was crying inside. "You aren't going to die." She stated, as simple as that. 

"Esme, my dear. Please, I just learned if Leah hadn't of saved you, our children would be parent-less." He breathed, "I can't bare to think of them being all on their own, I can't imagine a world without you on it. But you need to promise me, that you will carry on but never forget. But, I stress this, I want you to find your happiness." He whispered. "I need you to be happy." 

"A vampire mates for life, Carlisle, I could never be happy without you." she whispered. "You were always my angel." she spoke, in human years too. "But, I promise I will try for as long as I can bare." 

Carlisle sighed, "Thank you." he pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"If I was to ever leave you, don't let those nurses be all happy about it. And promise me, never forget me. And carry on. Do something great, don't let my death hold you back. And... move on. Find someone. Just no nurses I've heard of." That was extremely hard for Esme to say, the thought of her death and Carlisle being with someone else the way he has with her was killing her already dead heart.

"Move on? Find someone else? No! I won't ever promise that! I will never ever be over you. Ever. Never. Never. Never. Never leave me!" He gripped her, feeling more vulnerable of losing her. 

"Then don't you leave!" she cried back to him. 

Carlisle kissed her, and laid back pulling her on top of him; and she cuddled up to him. "I'll fight to stay with you, but I guess I'll promise to that; at least try." 

"Don't abandon them." she said. 

"Not ever." He replied. 

"Good, I love you." she whispered, kissing his neck. 

"Oh how I love you very much, my Esme." His hand snaking around her back and tangled through her hair as they kissed to spend some well alone time together, making love; for the many days Carlisle stayed home for.