Chapter 4 The Break up

Claire woke up to the smell of coffee and pancakes. It was about 8:30 when Claire decided to  get out of bed and give Jace a call. Claire called once and he didn't answer. She called a second time and he answered.

"Hey Claire. What's up?" Jace said sounding like he was upset.

"Hey Jace. What time are you coming over?" Claire asked.

"Ummm.... about that." Jace started. "I'm not coming over."

"Why?!" Claire asked upset and in shock.

"Claire listen. I don't want to see you before you go out there. I want my last memory of you to be a good one."

"Really Jace?! Are you kidding me right now?" Claire  said in anger and frustration.

"Yes Claire. I don't want the last memory of you to be us crying." Jace said trying to hint he was breaking up with Claire.

"Wait. What do you mean last memory?" Claire said.

"Claire. I'm breaking up with you"  Jace said.

"WHAT?! WHY?!" Claire said yelling and almost crying.

"Claire. I can't do this anymore. You have some sort of death wish. And if you die out there maybe I will not be as upset as I would be if we were dating."

"Wow. Jace. Just wow." Claire said crying. "Thanks for starting my day off like this."

"I'm sorry Claire. I just can't do it anymore."

"Ok. Whatever. Bye Jace." Claire said still crying.