Chapter 3

I woke up in my bed, I looked around confused. Staring at me from a chair across the room was a kid. She looked like she was about five years old.

"Hey kid, you lost?" I asked as calmly as I could.

She smiled a warm smile that I remembered but couldn't place. I walked outside leaving the door unlocked so that she could return to wherever she came from. I didn't feel like getting too involved.

What happened last night didn't feel like a dream, something must have happened, and that little girl in my room probably had something to do with it. I was scared, but I kept walking. I needed to get back to 3193 Maple Street.

I walked up to the door and punched and kicked, waiting for it to burst open, but it didn't. And then, something weird happened (go figure), Sylvia answered the door.

"Ambrose, right? Come in."

The room I walked into was large and brightly lit. From what I could tell, Sylvia was either very rich or very sneaky.

"N-N-Nice to see you again Sylvia." I muttered quickly and with a stutter that I thought went away a long time ago.

"I don't want to scare you Ambrose, but I've been watching you for a long time."

I stared blankly at her.

"H-How long?"

"Since you moved out here, it was your wings that first caught my attention, you're not from around here either. Are you?"

"No, I'm not."

"I've been dying to meet you, you know. You don't have an aura. You're the first person I've seen without one."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry, I know that's not what you were expecting."

"Excuse me?"

"Well..."

"You're a mortal, and a mortal with no aura at that. I'm sorry to monologue, but you're just such an open book, I know what you aren't telling me."

"I think I'll be going now, Sylvia."

"Oh you'll be back," said Sylvia, a malicious glint passing through her perfect eyes, "they always are."