Chapter Two

A/N: This Chapter is unedited so sorry if there's any mistakes.

Persephone's hands intertwine with mine as we slip through the gate. My heart races to the touch of her and I can feel my face burning up. Her eyes connect with mine and a bright smile grows on her face before her attention returns to Roman. He leads us in the dark to a safe place. The sound of people yelling and rejoicing is all we can hear. People were singing while others danced in the street.

"I have to get home to change." Persephone reminds us as we begin to integrate in. Her fingers leave mine and she waves a goodbye.

"We should change too." Roman utters as we head back to our districts.

Zephyrus meets me at the fay district entrance. His arms lay across his chest while his face holds a stern look.

"What did you three do all day?" He questions looking me up and down. Besides a few dirt spots on my jeans there were no indications of leaving the town.

"Well," I begin explaining while we walk back together, "Persephone bought me this silly hoodie." I lift the hood up to reveal the cat ears.

"Well, that's a strange thing." He laughs out.

"Isn't it? Besides that we went adventuring." I whisper the last part. Zephyrus is my father no matter how I look at it and I can't lie to him.

He gabs me by my shoulders and his eyes search mine. I know he wants that to be a silly joke instead of the truth. His eyes hold no anger; just worry.

"Aaron, why do you insist on going back out there?" He asks, but we both know the answer.

"I promise I'm staying safe." I ensure him, his eyes meet mine and the subject is dropped.

"You don't know the dangers." He whispers to himself thinking that I can't hear. We don't speak about it again and reach our cabin.

Music fills the air while Roman and I rejoin the town. Just about everyone was dancing now; those who weren't stood around eating. Roman and I searched the crowd for Persephone and her parents. This is the time that everyone mingles with everyone no matter if you hate them. Everyone is nice to one another except for me. I'm still the outcast waiting for approval.

"Found her." Roman states pointing towards a small group of higher up shape-shifters.

I search the small group and spy her mother and father speaking to two other adults. Persephone stands beside them while the talk about whatever. Her normal loose wavy hair is put up into a braid that circles her head like a crown. Her eyes skim the surrounding people and stop at us. She says something to her father and runs our direction.

"Hey guys." Her cheerful voice is louder than the music. Surrounding light danced in her hazel eyes.

"How are the folks?" Roman asks waving at her mother.

"Their okay, dad says he has something important to announce later." She sighs, running a hand over the side of her face.

"Sounds interesting." I add onto there conversation.

"Yeah I guess. I just don't like having to keep up this role of being a councilman's daughter. Just wish I could be normal like you too." she hugs both of us before walking over to a small vender selling meat products.

"I'm not normal." I remind her before stealing a bite of her newly bought sandwich.

"You're much more normal than I am." She tries to explain, smacking me on the shoulder.