Chapter 1

We never stop to think that in one second our lives could come to an end. The details, the small things, the things that to us seem insignificant at the moment are the very things that invade our minds at our most crucial moment…

Deep in the forest, the silence was suddenly disrupted by screams. “Hurry up, he’s gaining on us!!!” Three little girls screaming at the top of their lungs, running for their dear lives. Their white dresses stained with dirt and mud. Then all of a sudden one of the little girls was tackled to the ground with incredible force. The other two stopped and looked back to see their older sister on the muddy ground, with the one who was chasing them pinning her down. “Ha! I finally got you.” The figure spoke with a smirk.

The girl on the ground pushed off their supposed ‘attacker’ and sat up crossing her arms across her chest, puffing up her cheeks “No fair Taeyang you always catch me first!” The small boy named Taeyang stood up and gave her a goofy smile “It’s not my fault that you’re the slowest Eun Mi.” Eun Mi puffed up her cheeks even more at the comment. The other two sisters started giggling, at that moment Taeyang looked at the giggling sisters with a playful little smirk “Now it’s your turn.” The girls immediately stopped laughing and turned the other direction to run but it was already too late. Taeyang had reached them and tackled them both down in one move, laughing with a huge grin on his face. “That’s what you two get for laughing at me” said Eun Mi in between laughs. She looked at Taeyang who had his back facing her still laughing at the younger ones. Slowly she tip-toed her way to him “Gotcha!” she laughed as she pushed him to the ground. Her laughter soon turned into a squeal as the falling Taeyang grabbed her and pulled her down with him. They sat up and looked at each other as they burst into laughter seeing how the other was covered in mud and leaves. They lay back down on the forest ground looking up at the treetops where small rays of sunlight pierced through, their laughter slowly dying down as they took in the wonderful scenery still having a smile on their face.

After awhile the two younger siblings fell asleep, leaving the other two in peaceful silence. Taeyang was the first to speak “Do you think your father will allow our small village inside the kingdom’s wall to be protected by the sickness coming.” “I’ll ask him but I’m pretty sure he will, the purpose of the wall is to protect his people near or far anyway.” At that moment the sound of a bunch of galloping horses could be heard in the distance. Taeyang stood up looking at the direction of the sound. Soon enough a bunch of royal guards on dark horses stopped in front of the four children, making way for a pair on a majestic horse…The king and queen. The king was a handsome and simple man loved by his people but at the same time feared by many, no one ever dare cross him. The queen on the other hand was a beautiful, pure and elegant woman admired by everyone. She had a heart of gold, she truthfully loved and cared for every one of her people.

“Eun Mi, hurry up and wake up your sisters we’re going back to the castle, the kingdom’s door will be closing soon.” The king spoke in a deep and firm voice. Eun Mi walked up to the king “Father, can we bring Taeyang’s small village inside the kingdom walls as well?” The queen smiled to see her daughter care for the well being of others just like a princess should. “It should be okay to have a few more villagers inside the protection of the kingdom.” Said the queen to her husband in a soft voice. The king looked at his wife then at the small boy “No, him and his village are most likely to already be infected. We must not waste time saving small villages that are too far away from the kingdom, we cannot keep those doors open any longer or we’ll all be at risk. We most focus on protecting those near. Eun Mi, hurry up and let’s go.” “But father-” Eun Mi started to speak but got cut off when one of the guards picked her up and mounted her on one of the horses. At this point the two sisters were awake already on horses looking at the scene before them confused about what was going on. The king along with the rest began to make their way back to the castle. Eun Mi looked back at the small Taeyang who just stood there watching them ride off, his small hands balled up into fists; she stared at him until he was out of sight.