chapter one - flashback

jordyn's point of view

There was one minute and twenty seconds left of the game.

Zach's team was ahead 2-0.

All his team had to do was hold the other team off for a minute and then they would win the state tournament.

5...
4...
3...
2...
1...

They did it! Zach's team had won!
All of the parents were on their feet cheering and screaming.
All of the players went and hugged there goalie.

•••

It all felt so real. Like Zach and I were ten again.

I was at the rink that Zach used to play in. Just walking into the rink make me think of millions of different memories.

I was just looking at the ice and the empty stands thinking about when Zach's team had won or when Zach had scored a goal in a championship game  and pointed at me.

It all felt like a dream.

Being at the rink made me think of skating again.

I knew I couldn't do it though. I was terrible at skating and the only time that I did skate was when Zach was with me.

Everything was so different now. I hadn't seen Zach in years. I couldn't look at him the same anymore. He hadn't even called me once since the last time I went and saw him. I was always the one calling.

•••

I heard the main rink door open and looked behind me to see who was there.

It was Dave.

Dave was the owner of the rink. Who also happened to be my father.

Once I saw who it was I turned around.

"Hi sweetie."

"Hey dad." I said looking back at the ice.

"What are you doing here? Don't you have to be at work in 15 minutes?" He said hanging up his jacket in his office.

I looked down at my outfit. I was wearing my blue monkey scrubs.

"Yeah. I just thought I'd stop by and see the rink since I'm so busy with all of tests and sick patients all of the time. "

"Well, did you hear that Zach and his girlfriend are coming down to visit?" My dad said smiling.

"Yes I did. I'm glad that he found someone that is treating him right." I said with a fake smile.

"Jordyn, I can see right through that smile." My dad said coming over closer to me.

He hugged me and told me that I had to leave to go to work or I'd be late.

I left the rink and got into my car.

On the drive over I couldn't stop thinking about Zach.

I'd been in love with him since I was 10.  I don't know how I even knew what love was, but I was definitely crushing on Zach all throughout are friendship and I still was.

No one knew about my "love" for Zach except my dad who found me crying after Zach had told me he was "in love" with his first girlfriend in high school.

No one else knew. And I wanted it to stay that way.

Zach never thought of me as a girlfriend. He thought of me as his sister. Which killed me.

Seeing Zach after all of this is definitely going to be interesting.

I made my way into the hospital being right on time. That was enough thinking about Zach for today.

•••

authors note -
so what did you guys think?