o n e

here's the story about how my world turned upside down.

i was rushing, 5 minutes until the end of the world- me missing my big meeting at work. this determined if I was promoted, or fired. there was no in between.

i scrambled down my staircase, not even having time to tie my shoes, or my bow tie, or fix my hair, because I needed coffee. the cold rain poured hard on the pavement, and only the streetlights shone my way through the 5:00 a. m. fog.

my grey suit pants, too long and muddy, I sprinted into Starbucks, grabbed my coffee, and flew back out. thank god my car was parked right outside.

I put the key in lock and hopped in, turning the gears and revving the engine. finally, I would be on time, and awake with a nice coffee.

i was wrong.

my car would not start.

either I don't go and be most likely fired,

or I catch the subway 6 miles away and be half an hour late.

subway.

i once again, run down the staircase and literally just on time catch the subway.

i collapse into the seat and take the biggest sigh I've probably ever taken.

it was dark today. dark in the underground, dark up top on the concrete, the clouds hiding the sun, and not letting it shine.

it was dark. probably because today was the end of the world. I was most likely going to be fired anyway.

back to Ohio, back to moms basement, back to no cool business man career in New York. back to Tyler Joseph, the guy around the block, instead of, Tyler Joseph, executive producer of, 'Wake Up New York City!"

I was pulled out of my daze by a snazzy looking man, with a fitted blue suit and nice tie (that was not tied correctly), big, black square framed glasses, and crazy light pink hair.

"uh, hi um, what's up dude. can I sit next to you, cause like, you're kinda taking up two seats here, and I've had a rough morning, and I need to be at work for something, and my coffee is spilling everywhere."

i nodded and mumbled a sorry.

"I'm having a very rough morning too. I'm late for a meeting that could fire me, and my car broke down." I sigh and take a sip of my coffee.

"I feel you. I was riding my bike to my work and it completely broke, in the middle of the road. I manage ROCK, that coffee shop next to where they film Wake Up New York City! it's nice. but today I had to be super on time because apparently Philip Philips rumored on Twitter that he was going to come and play and surprise everyone, and I'm already late."

I gave him a sympathetic sigh. "wait, that means we have the same stop! I work at WUNYC. im the executive producer. it's really difficult. they hate me because I have 'dumb ideas.' today they're probably gonna fire me."

we sighed. "it's the end of the world." we said in unison.

he stared at me. he studied my face like a textbook.

"would you like my number?" he asked.

i jumped in surprise at the question accidentally spilling a bit of my coffee on him. he hissed and I screamed. "oh my god I am so sorry!!! I really didn't mean to oh my god. um, um here," I took off my jacket. "clean it up with this. it's ugly anyway."

he laughed.

"do you forgive me?? please forgive me. what is your name?"

"josh. josh dun."

"Tyler, Tyler Joseph. and I would love your number. our stop is com-"

this is when the end of the world flashed before our eyes.

but not the kind we imagined.