Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Jayden’s POV

         The adrenaline powers through my entire body as I stare at the ground. I try to block out all of the screams around me, focusing on my feet. Sweat drips down my forehead as I take in a deep breath slowly before exhaling; the all too familiar atmosphere that I can’t get enough of grows silent.

Silence.

 The only sound being heard is the thumping of my heart in my chest. Slowly I back away, reminding myself one last time of my target.

Silence.

The whole crowd holds a breath as I approach again and strike the ball with force. A hundred eyes travel with the ball as it slips past the goalie and sinks into the net. A perfect finish.

The audience stands as they cheer and whoop for the game-winning penalty kick. My team rushes over and engulfs me in a hug filled with screams before I am tackled to the ground and the referee blows the final whistle.

Champions, once again.

 ***

After showering, my team heads out into town for a celebration. Parents hand us money and drop us off in front of the usual hangout for 14-year-olds in the village, Holmes Chapel Pizza. As I enter the restaurant filled with teammates and half of my year from school, I receive a massive applause. People all around me give me high fives as I make my way back to the table with my best friends, Alex and Marisa. It was the usual Friday night vibe.

“Can’t believe the season’s over,” Marisa told me while sinking her teeth into a slice of pizza, “it feels like it just started.”

“Don’t say that, now I’m going to be all sad! Can you not?” Alex stifles a laugh while pouting at the same time.

“Relax, Alex, before you know it, we’ll be playing in high school next year together,” I remind her.

“Ugh, don’t even bring that up. We all know you don’t even have to try out, since you’re Jayden Steele,” Alex stresses.

“Seriously. You could probably just show up to practice the first day and nobody would even care,” Marisa adds.

I chuckle at their bluntness. “As flattered as I am, I don’t think I will be getting away with as much in the upper school. We’re all equal, okay?”

“Stop trying to make us feel better, Jayden, you’re no good at it.” Marisa rebutles.

“Worth a try,” I shrug and take a sip of my soda.

I knew I was good at football, in fact I knew I was the best on my team, but it was all kind of boring, now. I had a routine life. I wake up and go to school, get good grades and hangout with friends. Then I come home and do homework and then off to football practice. On Fridays there’s usually a football game everyone attends and then after we all go out to town and hangout more. I had lots of friends, and a good life with a nice family so I really shouldn’t complain. Everything was fine in my life. I was a likeable person, I guess, so people always just kind of wanted to be friends with me. Well, except for-

Harry!? Why is he here?” Alex whisper-shouts to us at the table. My head snaps up and follows her gaze to the front door where Harry stood. He pushed the bridge of his glasses up on his nose and looks around, completely out of his element. Kids like him didn’t hang out in here. Harry Styles was a loser. Acne littered his cheeks and forehead, and he attempted to cover it with his dirty curly brown hair. His blue braces made his lips jut out and gave him a slight lisp, while the black frame of his glasses took up his entire face. He was a skinny boy with a pretty weak-looking build. His eyes lock with mine and realization hits him before he makes his way over.

“Jayden, your mom saw I was walking to town and gave me your cell phone, you left it at home,” He reaches into his jacket pocket and then tosses the phone across the table in my direction.

“Did you go through my phone, Harry?!” I pick up my phone and glare at him before putting it in my own pocket.

He shrugged and smirked, “You’ll never know.”

“Get lost, Harold, I can smell you from here.” I say with disgust while he just looks at me with an expression that most likely matched mine.

Harry scoffs, “Oh gladly. Remind me next time to just drop your phone in the mud before giving it back to you.”

“Fuck off, Harry.” I take a sip of my soda, suddenly uninterested in the conversation, while people observing gasp at my use of words.

“Screw you, bitch,” he returns the look before turning and walking towards the door.

“And don’t come back here, anymore! Losers like you don’t belong, Harry.”

Once he leaves the restaurant, Alex looks at me and then back at the door, “I always forget he’s your neighbor. Must be annoying to have to deal with him all the time.”

“Whatever. Harry and I have never gotten along, so it’s nothing new,” I casually reply, “He’s just my neighbor, and that’s all he’ll ever be.”

A/N:

Ok so this is my first fanfic that my friend is making me write. I have never written one so bear with me. Please comment and make suggestions about what you liked, what you didn’t like. Should I make these longer or are they a good length? Also, storyline suggestions are good, too!! Please rate, follow, and vote if you liked it! Thanks so much <3

PS Ok so I'm picturing Jayden as Nina Dobrev but while she's younger it's Nina Dobrev when she's younger. Picture on the side!