Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Jay’s POV

I enter the arena with my team, seeing all fifteen thousand people filling the stands. We make our way towards the stage in the middle of the pitch, with a few dozen chairs infront of it, reserved for the West Coast team and East Coast team to sit in during the opening ceremony of the game.

The audience roared with excitement as we all take our seats next to the East Coast team and wait for the performance to begin.

I find myself sitting next to Charlotte as we both start to nervously talk in anticipation of who will walk onto that stage to perform. I see that cameras are everywhere paneling back and forth between the players, the empty stage, and the audience. A camera comes close to me and Charlotte and we both wave, giving our best smiles in knowledge that millions of people are watching our faces at home on their televisions.

Soon enough, the lights dimmed in the crowd as the sun started to set on this beautiful evening in Los Angeles. The bright reds, oranges, and yellows painted the sky above us as the faint haze from earlier in the day seemed to fade away along with the sun.

The crowd was silent.

My leg starts shaking nervously yet excitedly as the fog machine turns on and five spotlights flicker on stage.

Soon, the intro to the song starts playing as five boys rise up from trap doors on stage and the audience comes to life, cheering and screaming as loud as thunder, the roar making the whole stadium shake.

Although I didn’t recognize the boys, I did recognize the song.

Charlotte sits next to me screaming her head off as well, which leads me to question why everyone is so excited. This isn't Beyonce.

Then the speaker briefly booms over the intro to the song and the announcer said, “Ladies and Gentlemen, One Direction!”

The crowd gets even louder, if that was possible, and soon I find myself standing along with 15,000 others.

“You’re insecure,

Don’t know what for.

You’re turning heads when you walk

Through the door.”

I’ve heard this song before! One Direction is some huge boy band from the UK, right? I’ve heard the name a few times, and I’ve heard this song on the radio a lot, but other than that I don’t know anything else.

“Baby you light up my world like nobody else,

The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed…”

Then I do recognize one! I’m so stupid! How did I not see this before? I mentally face palm. I should have made this connection such a long time ago!

The Blondie playing on the guitar is the one that I met backstage! So that’s why he thought I was crazy when I didn’t know who he was. And that also explains why he was trying to cover his face when I first saw him.

The lights all dim while one boy with curly hair and dimples steps forward and sings his solo, while looking straight down at the two teams of soccer players I’m currently sitting with. I could have sworn I’ve seen him before, but now that I think about it it’s probably just from magazine covers or something.

“Baby you light up my world like nobody else,

The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed.

But when you smile at the ground it ain’t hard to tell…

You don’t know, oh-oh,