Death is a Funny Thing

"He's what?" Kanan demanded. The crew (minus Ezra) was gathered in Kanan's room. Hera had called an emergency meeting.

"Dead!" Hera gasped. "I don't know how or why or what's going on, but we need to fix this!"

"Calm down Hera," Zeb said, holding up his hands. "It's not the end of the world."

"Ezra is a walking, breathing, talking dead body and you're telling me to calm down?" Hera demanded.

"Back off while you still can," Sabine warned Zeb.

"Are you sure?" Kanan asked.

"He had a blaster wound directly where his heart should be," Hera explained. "No one could survive that kind of wound."

"Should we tell him?" Sabine asked.

"Oh yeah, I can imagine how that conversation would go," Zeb said sarcastically. "'Hey Ezra! Did we mention that you died on the last mission? Yeah, turns out you're a dead body right now, but you still think you're alive. Isn't that interesting?'"

"This is serious Zeb," Kanan said. "I've never heard of anything like this. I've heard of Jedi Masters using the force to return as spirits or voices, but nothing like this."

"Should we act like nothing is wrong?" Sabine asked.

"I'm not sure," Kanan said. "It's possible that this isn't even the real Ezra. It could be a clone or some other disguise. Ezra might be in danger."

"It might be a clone," Hera said. "But I doubt it's an evil one. It might be meant to only distract us, keep us from finding the real Ezra."

"But what are we going to do about this Ezra?" Zeb asked.

"Nothin for the moment," Kanan said. "We need fuel. When we reach the planet's surface, we can decide what to do with him."

---

Ezra watched while the rest of the crew prepared to go on the landing platform. Hera was going to stay on the Ghost. Ezra was supposed to stay as well. He couldn't understand why. He wanted to be able to help the others.

His sleep hadn't been interrupted by any more odd dreams, and Ezra hadn't transformed a second time. It seemed like everything was back to normal. Well, almost back to normal.

"What if it's an ambush?" Ezra asked.

"Then we'll have to fight," Kanan replied, checking his blaster. "You and Hera will be able to pick us up in the Ghost."

"But I want to help!" Ezra protested.

"You'll be more help here kid, where we can keep an eye on you," Zeb said.

"Don't you guys trust me?" Ezra asked.

"Of course we do," Sabine replied. "It's nothing personal."

The Ghost touched down and the bay doors opened. Kanan, Zeb and Sabine rushed outside, blasters held ready. Ezra watched them leave, wishing desperately that he could join them.

Ezra heard a TIE Fighter in the distance, followed by an explosion. The sounds of battle began in the distance.

"Sounds like my invitation," Ezra said. He wouldn't let his friends fight in their own, not if there was something he could do to help. He ran out of the Ghost, pulling his lightsaber into his hand.

The rebels were fighting for their lives. Zeb was surrounded by a large group of stormtroopers. Sabine was surrounded by a slightly smaller group of stormtroopers. Kanan was on the ground before Darth Vader. His lightsaber was out of reach. Currently Darth Vader's back was to the Ghost.

"Where is your apprentice now?" Darth Vader asked, stalking closer to Kanan. Ezra charged forward, willing himself to run faster. His master wouldn't fight the Sith alone! Ezra wished desperately that he was faster. Darth Vader raised his lightsaber.

Ezra raised his lightsaber, set it to blaster setting, and fired. It dissipated harmlessly in Darth Vader's cloak, but it caused him to turn his attention to Ezra.

"You can't be alive," Darth Vader said.

"A lot of people have said stuff like that lately," Ezra shouted in reply. Ezra shot again but Darth Vader only deflected it with his lightsaber. It streaked back and hit Ezra instead. He paused momentarily before dropping to the ground. Kanan grabbed his own lightsaber before rushing last Darth Vader and to Ezra's side.

"Time to go!" Kanan shouted to the rest of the crew as he slung one of Ezra's arms over his shoulder. Zeb and Sabine battled their way to freedom and followed Kanan and Ezra into the Ghost. Within moments, they were safely away.

---

"You told me he was dead," Darth Vader told the officer in front of him. The officer shifted nervously.

"He was dead," he said. "I shot him myself. I saw him fall. I checked his pulse. He couldn't have survived."

"Apparently he did survive. As for you, you have failed me for the last time," Darth Vader said. He made a chocking gesture and the official was lifted up, gasping for air. Moments later his body dropped to the ground.

"I will take care of the upstart myself," Darth Vader decided as he walked past the body and out of the room.